Dirty or clean play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
s

In the clip, Jeter started the play at 1B, and was placed back there after Arod called out. But why?...

Jeter clearly would have reached 2B safely on the play, if Arod didnt interfere.

Because arod was called for interference and runners are returned to the last base occupied at the time of interference.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
BTW even in MLB this is illegal (Section 6.1 of the MLB Umpire Manual):

""While contact may occur between a fielder and runner during a tag attempt, a runner is not allowed to use his hands or arms to commit an obviously malicious or unsportsmanlike act."

Last time I remember seeing this in MLB it was (unsurprisingly) A-Rod getting out for doing this.

In fact video of it:

This is nothing, but alleged adults arguing like a bunch of 6 yo in a sandlot game. The umpire shouldn't even have opened his mouth to Torre. Then again, MLB umpires aren't too smart when it comes to dealing with some of thse children.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is nothing, but alleged adults arguing like a bunch of 6 yo in a sandlot game. The umpire shouldn't even have opened his mouth to Torre. Then again, MLB umpires aren't too smart when it comes to dealing with some of thse children.

I think he needed to explain why the call was changed. I also think that when the stakes are as high and as much money is involved in these MLB games the umps need to be able to articulate what just happened to the manager so when the manager is asked by reporters from around the world what happened he can relate what he was told. MLB is more then just a series of baseball games, its commerce. And like it or not the Umps are part of that product. On top of that these umps have to work with this same static group of managers, a little respect will be returned in the future.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In 8u Fall season i have heard a coach mention that there team tries to teach the girls to slap the glove of the fielder while the tag is trying to be made at the base. Some girls still fail to hold the ball properly while running with it at this age. Just looking for different takes
A-rod approves of this coaching technique

AROD.JPG

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
As a Yankee fan I think the umps totally got that incidental contact wrong, it was Arroyos own momentum that caused the ball to travel 50+ ft after being dislodged and had nothing to do with A-rod's natural running style.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As a Yankee fan I think the umps totally got that incidental contact wrong, it was Arroyos own momentum that caused the ball to travel 50+ ft after being dislodged and had nothing to do with A-rod's natural running style.

This post could use some emoticons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13