Dirty or clean play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Marriard posted the rule already.

And no it is not a logical fallacy. It is exactly the mindset that leads to ever worsening behavior. All you need is two coaches on the same field at the same time with this mentality and things can devolve. Best to just play the game right and let the team that plays the best win.

Sep 18, 2011
Reductio ad absurdum.

And I'm still waiting to see which rule this violates.

Just so I'm clear, you believe that it is perfectly within the rules for a baserunner to intentionally slap the ball out of the fielder's glove in an effort to dislodge the ball? Someone summon our umpire gurus.

Calling Bretman! Calling Comp! calling MTR! Your assistance is required in the softball discussion forum!

Due to the publicity of the A-Rod play discussed earlier, we know for an absolute fact that this behavior is against the rules in MLB. I would be shocked if softball allowed it.

One more thing, in my opinion it's dirty, bush league, AND against the rules. A trifecta of sorts.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
And I'm still waiting to see which rule this violates.

Only have the USSSA rule book on me.

Rule 8, Sec 18.I specifically states that the runner is out if the ball is 'deliberately knocked from the fielders hand by the runner'

Further penalties and outs could also be covered by at least:
Rule 8, Sec 18.B, Sec 18.C, 18.D, 18.E, 18.F, 18.H

Sep 18, 2011

Rule 8, Sec 18.I specifically states that the runner is out if the ball is 'deliberately knocked from the fielders hand by the runner'

Why did you have to be such a thread killer???!!! :)

Jun 22, 2008
It is illegal to purposely try to dislodge the ball in any ruleset softball or baseball. Sliding into a tag and the ball coming loose is completely different than slapping at a fielders glove. Anyone remember I believe it was arod in the playoffs a few years back slapping the ball out of the first baseman's glove while he was being tagged? As I recall there was also a runner on 2nd advancing to 3rd. Ball was dead, arod was out and runner was returned to 2nd on the interference call.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Marriard posted the rule already.

And no it is not a logical fallacy. It is exactly the mindset that leads to ever worsening behavior. All you need is two coaches on the same field at the same time with this mentality and things can devolve. Best to just play the game right and let the team that plays the best win.

Marriard posted a MLB rule before, thanks.

And saying it's not a fallacy doesn't change the fact that it is a fallacy.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio

Thanks, appreciate the info. If it's in USSSA I'm sure that or something like it is in ASA as well.

Of course, I'm sure it's illegal to deliberately throw at the batter, too. ;)

You can call it bush or whatever, I don't really care.

stealhome.jpg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's bush, it's low-class, AND it's in violation of the rules of the game. Seems pretty simple to me. Don't do it. At any age.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
s
It is illegal to purposely try to dislodge the ball in any ruleset softball or baseball. Sliding into a tag and the ball coming loose is completely different than slapping at a fielders glove. Anyone remember I believe it was arod in the playoffs a few years back slapping the ball out of the first baseman's glove while he was being tagged? As I recall there was also a runner on 2nd advancing to 3rd. Ball was dead, arod was out and runner was returned to 2nd on the interference call.

In the clip, Jeter started the play at 1B, and was placed back there after Arod called out. But why?...

Jeter clearly would have reached 2B safely on the play, if Arod didnt interfere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13