Did you State Softball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't buy the population argument-The BOS-WASH megalopolis has 44 million people- far more than southern California. But does not produce even close to the same amount of top level FP players. I don't buy the weather either. Texas and Florida have a much larger combined population and good weather and they do not produce anywhere near the number of top level players and they don't have the large urban centers either- both have a lot of sprawl.

I think it comes down to a combination of population/money/desirability of location as a place to live. I have my bones to pick with SoCal as a resident, but it draws a lot of people and has a lot of high paying jobs. The equipment/private coaching/TB fees are expensive and not all families can afford to pursue the game a the highest levels with the best quality coaching. It is a HUGE advantage. The good coaches go where the money is (the really-really great ones can live anywhere they want and students will come)

It is also history and available competition. SoCal was always fastpitch. Florida really is in only it's third or fourth generation of full-time fast pitch players from 8U up - so the coaching experience and player experience is only now starting to compete with SoCal. From my understanding this is really the first generation of Florida players who are getting coaching from the original fast pitch/second generation Florida fast pitch players and coaches. It makes a big difference. Despite the growing popularity of softball in Florida where I am in South Florida there is really only 6 highest quality fast pitch pitching instructors (lots of pretenders - but the ones who REALLY develop the players are few) in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing