POLL~ .600 Batting average

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

.600 what you thinkin'

• .600 its accurate put it on recruitment page

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • .600 not accurate don't put it on recruitment page

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • .600 playing weak competition

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • .600 someone fudging base hits

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • .600 college coaches will 100% believe it

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Jun 18, 2023
Huh...padding stats...or padding ego...
Seems thats a reason stats are less accurate.
The reason to not believe the accuracy.

stats are not accurate, you just need to understand what they're saying. If you hit .600 you should absolutely tell people. If they want to dig deeper and look at other stats to decide if that .600 actually means you're good next year, that's on them.
Yep, she leads our team in fewest strike outs every season. She had 0 strike outs this past Spring/Summer in 120 at bats. No batting cage in her yard though :)

Like the K%. If someone told me they were batting .600 and then I Looked and they had 0 strike outs, it suddenly tells a much more compelling story. More data increases accuracy. The only thing stats are less accurate than are more stats.

Feb 24, 2022
stats are not accurate, you just need to understand what they're saying. If you hit .600 you should absolutely tell people. If they want to dig deeper and look at other stats to decide if that .600 actually means you're good next year, that's on them.

Like the K%. If someone told me they were batting .600 and then I Looked and they had 0 strike outs, it suddenly tells a much more compelling story. More data increases accuracy. The only thing stats are less accurate than are more stats.
Agree, stats help paint a picture, but you need context. Hitting .600 in rec when errors aren't scored is certainly different than hitting .600 on a national team (and there's a lot of space between those extremes). That's why video, tournament schedule, AND stats matter.

Obviously, coaches are smart enough to take all of those data points into consideration. Nobody is saying Oklahoma is going to scout a girl hitting .900 in 1 day friendlies.

Jan 20, 2023
I thought it was interesting that the team my daughter is on for the upcoming season asked what her batting average was and what the team overall batting average was. I’m guessing to baseline a bit on how they keep their stats.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'd rather see number of doubles, triples, HR's. There is a place for a kid who only hits singles. When I see a kid (True Stats ACC)has 42 hits, 1 double, 1 Triples, 0 HR's, 7 walks, I immediately think this slapper kid is fast and runs out a lot of infield singles. Bottom of the 7th bases loaded, in a tight game I need a kid to hit the ball to the OF, not back to the pitcher. I don't love seeing slappers hitting 1,2,9.

In TB. 0 K's tells me she needs to face better pitchers.

Apr 14, 2022
I'd rather see number of doubles, triples, HR's. There is a place for a kid who only hits singles. When I see a kid (True Stats ACC)has 42 hits, 1 double, 1 Triples, 0 HR's, 7 walks, I immediately think this slapper kid is fast and runs out a lot of infield singles. Bottom of the 7th bases loaded, in a tight game I need a kid to hit the ball to the OF, not back to the pitcher. I don't love seeing slappers hitting 1,2,9.

In TB. 0 K's tells me she needs to face better pitchers.
I agree and would be hesitant to share any stat that seems abnormally good. My first thought is easy teams, or not scoring errors and/or bad pitching. Hitting 100% line drives gets .600 -.700 vs good defenses. Much better to say believable like 3-5 vs x” pitcher a y” college commit.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Back in the day, DD went to a presentation by a couple of college coaches representing various levels of ball. This was a type of round table discussion with the coaches taking questions from parents, coaches, and players. When one parent brought up this topic and that her dd was hitting a very high average, the response did not sit well with some. Basically, the coach said that if that girl was hitting that high average then her parents are keeping the score or she wasn't playing at the level of competition that she should be playing. The coach went on to say that often in their recruiting they run into this situation and find that most often the player does match the statistic when they went to see them play.

Feb 24, 2022
Back in the day, DD went to a presentation by a couple of college coaches representing various levels of ball. This was a type of round table discussion with the coaches taking questions from parents, coaches, and players. When one parent brought up this topic and that her dd was hitting a very high average, the response did not sit well with some. Basically, the coach said that if that girl was hitting that high average then her parents are keeping the score or she wasn't playing at the level of competition that she should be playing. The coach went on to say that often in their recruiting they run into this situation and find that most often the player does match the statistic when they went to see them play.
Very interesting. That's why stats are 1 data point, not the end all be all. One thing that I have seen in this thread that is bothersome to me is the opinion on what level of play girls "should" be playing. There are a multitude of reasons for girls to play at whatever level they are playing at - can't travel due to family issues, financial constraints, multiple children in sports or other activities, they themselves do other activities, academics come first, etc. We should be very careful about suggesting that if a girl was any good, they "should" be on a national or higher level team playing the best of the best. I think there are a ton of girls that "could" succeed at that level but choose not to (for the reasons mentioned above). There are girls dominating on the Hittin Kittens that could succeed on a B level team, girls dominating on a B team that could succeed on an A level team, girls dominating on and A level team that could succeed on a regional team, and so on.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I read this as a reason why someone might have a disproportionately high batting average. Don't think it was a bad classification.
It was an analyzation. ( that happens to have some validity behind those reasons) of which coaches have to try and interpret stats and their source.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Very interesting. That's why stats are 1 data point, not the end all be all. One thing that I have seen in this thread that is bothersome to me is the opinion on what level of play girls "should" be playing. There are a multitude of reasons for girls to play at whatever level they are playing at - can't travel due to family issues, financial constraints, multiple children in sports or other activities, they themselves do other activities, academics come first, etc. We should be very careful about suggesting that if a girl was any good, they "should" be on a national or higher level team playing the best of the best. I think there are a ton of girls that "could" succeed at that level but choose not to (for the reasons mentioned above). There are girls dominating on the Hittin Kittens that could succeed on a B level team, girls dominating on a B team that could succeed on an A level team, girls dominating on and A level team that could succeed on a regional team, and so on.
Nothing wrong at all with being the best hitter on a lower level team. My comment (since you referred to the Hitten Kittens comment I mentioned) is directly related to getting a college coach out to see the player if they include that specific stat in their profile. It was mentioned in the OP that this particular or hypothetical player’s goal *is* college ball. If the player is going to post that specific stat in their profile then playing on a high level team which consistently plays top competition is going to draw a college coach’s attention much more than if the player was on a team college coaches are unfamiliar with.

Is it fair? Is it unbiased? No. But it is what it is, unfortunately. If the goal is college ball, then suggesting playing at the highest level *possible* for a player is not wrong.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym