Cutting players who tryout for other teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
I heard our organization’s 12-U team cut 2 players, including their best pitcher, because the girls recently tried out for another team. I’m guessing it was in secret and came out to light.

Harsh or justified? Is this common?

Jun 19, 2016
Insane barring unknown circumstances. Why would you cut someone just for trying bout for another team? They might not even like the other team.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Insane barring unknown circumstances. Why would you cut someone just for trying bout for another team? They might not even like the other team.
I agree with this.

What if 2 really good players from another team wanted to try out for this team? Would they let them?

Jun 19, 2016
When star pitchers get cut at 12U it is usually because either they or their parents are causing problems. It isn't exactly like you can go to the bracket pitcher store and pick up another.

Jul 22, 2015
I heard our organization’s 12-U team cut 2 players, including their best pitcher, because the girls recently tried out for another team. I’m guessing it was in secret and came out to light.

Harsh or justified? Is this common?
My experience has been that if a player is going to other try-outs she's already gone, it's just a matter of how long it takes for her to leave. Coach has probably had similar experiences.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think it is harsh, but I think that the harsh punishment of getting cut in the long term is best for both the team, player and parents.

I say this because it happened to DD and us. However, it was a little different scenario. DD committed to play for her batting coaches organizational team (wasn't ideal but would've been an upgrade from where she was). Tryouts for our nationally ranked big dog "hittin' kittens" were scheduled after our commitment and before the team was even put together. Word got out the we were GOING (hadn't even gone) to go to the tryout, and BOOM... I got a text that the team was going in another direction with regards to my DD and that we'd have to find another option.

We were pretty crushed and didn't understand how small the softball world is and the unwritten code. It all ended up working out as she made her dream team and the other team has turned out good. Emotions were high, but all involved were sincere in that it was good that it worked out, it was the right place for her.

Basically, "don't go chatting up other girls (or boys) when you're currently dating". If you looking, you're not completely invested....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06