Struggling with a team. Advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
What level, Rec ? B Team ? 8th Grade or JV ? It makes a difference of how much teeth you can have in your bite ... Sounds like my first JV team from an inner city school with no feeder program, little talent, racial challenges, no accountability, some spoiled brats, some helicopter parents and a history of hiring coaches that didn't know sh*t from shinola ... I feel your pain and it took me about a half a season to get it under control ... You may be doing some of my ideas already, but here goes:

1.) As Pattar says the first thing to go is cell phones ... They are OFF and in the bat bag / book bag prior to practice and do not come out again until after practice is over. If there are bus rides, no cell phones on the bus until it is time to call for their rides.
2.) You have to set the rules and if they are not followed there must be consequences ... If they don't like it, they can quit ( And they will, some will ask to come back, others won't ... Good riddance ) ... I gave them 3 strikes ... 1st strike I talk to you, 2nd strike a letter goes home and a phone call follows it up, 3rd strike you turn in your jersey. Sometimes you need to cut 2 to save 13.
3.) Before practice starts, EVERYTHING that they need for practice is out of their bat bag and lying against the OUTSIDE of the dugout fence ... This includes hair ties, glove, hat, inhaler, water bottle, batting gloves, bat, mouth guard if it isn't in yet, face mask, batting helmet etc. ... There is NO going into the bat bag during practice.
4.) Blow a whistle to start and start on time. Before the softball portion of practice starts, dynamic stretching, calisthenics and FUN running exercises involving competition (races and timing them to first base, et al) ... If they are running their mouths during the softball portion of practice then they have not run enough before it started.
5.) NO talking to parents through the fence during practice or games ... NO Gatorade hand-offs or Bacon Cheeseburgers through the fence. Parents need rules too and they should be given to them in writing. NO parents, boyfriends or girlfriends in the dugout.
6.) The softball portion of practice needs to be quick moving and as fun as possible ... If you minimize any standing around they will have less time to run their mouths ... Keep them moving ... Turn hitting infield and outfield into quick paced competition ... (PM me if you need some ideas on how to do this) ... DO NOT spend more than 10-15 minutes on any on portion of practice ... Give them 1 timed minute to hydrate and move on to the next drill.
7.) When practice is over blow your whistle and end on time.
8.) Let the players and parents know that they cannot question you about playing time, etc. during practice and games. They can otherwise e mail or text you and ask to speak to you.

* That is just a rough outline to bring things back into your control. That said, the thing that turned the season around for us was grilling kielbasa ... LOL ... The players and one parent had really acted up at an away game ... It was awful and we were at the end of our rope ... My Asst Coach said on the bus ride back that we should make them run the entire practice the next day ... I said we'll do one better, come hungry ... The next day I brought a beach umbrella, 2 lawn chairs, a hibachi grill and a ring of kielbasa to practice ... We set up all their running drills, then set up the umbrella and grill in the middle of the outfield ... Took off our sneakers and socks, grilled the kielbasa and ate it while they ran for 1.5 hours ... The entire baseball team and coaches gathered leaning over our outfield fence and watched it all happen for their practice that day.

** I am, 'in general' , opposed to using running as punishment ... But sometimes ...

*** Because of the racial issues we were dealing with I tried a rainy day practice letting them watch the movie Brians Song ... They didn't get it at all ... Not everything you try will work ... Move on, next.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Oct 26, 2019
I agree with @GunnerShotgun on using physical activity as punishment, physical activity should not be punishment. It should be what all good athletes do anyway. I wouldn’t make a kid read in school as punishment for the same reason.

If a kid is not listening or acting up, I would remove them from the practice. Have them sit in the dugout by themselves for a while. If that doesn’t work have them go home for the rest of practice. They will either get right or quit. Either way it’s a positive.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Really? Which ones specifically? When I go to coaches' conferences and listen to speakers I have heard many speeches about how using exercise as a form of punishment is bad practice. Not to mention depending on your setting it could be illegal.

Do you mean these coaches: https://www.fox4news.com/news/crand...s-placed-on-leave-after-bear-crawl-punishment

I concur, as I mentioned in my post #11 I am opposed to it 'in general' ... A coach should want their players to enjoy exercise and enjoy practice ... My running drills, exercises and softball related drills are mostly all 'competition based' ... Some in competition with others or in a team setting, but many for self competition as we keep track of an athletes times, percentages etc ... Doing so, you get the results without the vindictiveness of 'punishment' per se.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Really? Which ones specifically? When I go to coaches' conferences and listen to speakers I have heard many speeches about how using exercise as a form of punishment is bad practice. Not to mention depending on your setting it could be illegal.

Do you mean these coaches: https://www.fox4news.com/news/crand...s-placed-on-leave-after-bear-crawl-punishment
There's a distinct difference between discipline and punishment. Using running or sprints as a method of discipline is very common. What you posted was punishment. Don't conflate the two.

My daughter's coach makes girls run for missing signs. It usually happens in the first game or two of the season, but after having to run a few laps, it never happens again. And amazingly enough, no one has quit or filed a complaint against the coaches.

May 17, 2012
There's a distinct difference between discipline and punishment. Using running or sprints as a method of discipline is very common. What you posted was punishment. Don't conflate the two.

My daughter's coach makes girls run for missing signs. It usually happens in the first game or two of the season, but after having to run a few laps, it never happens again. And amazingly enough, no one has quit or filed a complaint against the coaches.

I think you are trying to justify your daughter's coaching which is fine. The definition of discipline includes punishment.

What I would point out is that there are other teams and coaches that can get kids to not miss signs without resorting to exercise as a form of punishment.

Feb 28, 2023
Is this travel, school, or rec league? This will determine your response level.

I would not suggest using exercise as a form of punishment.

It is a rec league.

Each team is separated by neighborhood areas, which also lends itself to some unfair advantages on some teams due to equipment, money (some girls on other teams can afford to play year round, etc). Our neighborhood encompasses the more “inner city” and lower income housing families. Granted not all families are lower income in this area but generally more so than the other teams. Additionally we have a lot of players who come from rough home lives (parents who’ve died or aren’t involved due to drugs, living with family members- aunts, grandparents, etc) so our team is a little rough around the edges in many ways (our pitchers “mound” last night was “the spot in front of the ditch” ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
It is a rec league.

Each team is separated by neighborhood areas, which also lends itself to some unfair advantages on some teams due to equipment, money (some girls on other teams can afford to play year round, etc). Our neighborhood encompasses the more “inner city” and lower income housing families. Granted not all families are lower income in this area but generally more so than the other teams. Additionally we have a lot of players who come from rough home lives (parents who’ve died or aren’t involved due to drugs, living with family members- aunts, grandparents, etc) so our team is a little rough around the edges in many ways (our pitchers “mound” last night was “the spot in front of the ditch” ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep at it. Sounds like some of those kids need you...:confused:

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t avoid running kids as punishment for fear of complaints or that I will get in trouble. I avoid running as punishment because in my experience the bench speaks much louder than running (or any other form of discipline).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2