Struggling with a team. Advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 28, 2023
I’m coaching a team of 12-14 year olds, some who have played for years and at least 4 who didn’t even know what it meant when they had 3 strikes. I have my 2 oldest daughters on the team and hadn’t planned on being head coach, but no one else volunteered. I convinced my sister and father to help me coach. My sister and I played softball growing up and my father coached baseball, including teams that won state champs, etc and was a well known and well respected coach in the area.

Anyway, it’s our first time all coaching softball and it’s pretty much going awfully. The girls are WILD at practices and games…play fighting, screaming, tackling each other, etc. They don’t listen and “Wish they had last years coaches back” (mind you, last years coaches didn’t want to coach because their daughter went on to high school). We don’t yell at them like previous coaches did but we do try to control the craziness by talking to them.

Since they are acting crazy, not listening or taking direction and we have many beginners on the team, it isn’t surprising that they haven’t played well. Their attitudes are crap…with the 8th graders threatening to quit after many innings and so far, every game. They have poor sportsmanship and tonight after they game, the majority of them were complaining to each another about how it’s all the coaches fault that they are losing and they would do better coaching themselves…and all the 8th graders were threatening to quit, again.

I’m at a loss. we’ve tried being really positive with them and encouraging. We’ve had some conversations about sportsmanship etc and we do actually know a lot about the game. In addition, I’m a high school teacher so this isn’t my first time dealing with a pack of kids.

We have another game tomorrow. With the 8th graders we don’t have enough kids to play. Do we forfeit? Wait to see if they show up? Cancel practices this week and let them figure it out on their own? Quit coaching the team entirely? This is awful and I really need advice. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
Sounds like its time for some tough love and put them all in their places. Lay out the rules for behavior and consequences and FOLLOW THEM , regard less.

Punish them all as a team. won't take more than 1 practice until they decide to quit (good riddance) or buckle down and fly right.

Feb 28, 2023
Sounds like its time for some tough love and put them all in their places. Lay out the rules for behavior and consequences and FOLLOW THEM , regard less.

Punish them all as a team. won't take more than 1 practice until they decide to quit (good riddance) or buckle down and fly right.

Thanks. Could you be more specific in terms of punishing them? Also, we have a game today (before having a practice) so any advice on how to handle the kids at the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks. Could you be more specific in terms of punishing them?
Taking away their cellphones for a day would probably work miracles but alas that is outside the purview of a ball coach.. :p

In terms of what is going on in practice, one thing I will say is maybe try and make practice such that they don't have time to mess around. Split up into small groups of 3 or 4 and have them go through different drills where they are not getting more than a minute break between reps.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
well, most girls really hate push-ups. First time you have to settle down the horse play, everyone does 10 push ups. Next run to foul poles and back. Etc.

You either get control or the inmates will run the prison. Not saying drill sargeant and punish the entire practice. BUT they all need to learn, they are a team, get your collective acts together or else.

And all that crap about "last year's coaches back", etc.... that's cause they got away with murder and they want to skate again.

Oct 21, 2022
New Jersey
Taking away their cellphones for a day would probably work miracles but alas that is outside the purview of a ball coach.. :p

In terms of what is going on in practice, one thing I will say is maybe try and make practice such that they don't have time to mess around. Split up into small groups of 3 or 4 and have them go through different drills where they are not getting more than a minute break between reps.

Splitting them into groups is great idea here. No longer coach my older DD last year 12u team, never saw this with her team.

But have been coaching my 9 year old thru 8u now 10u. Myself and the 3 other coaches always have them broken up into small groups. While 80% of these girls are locked in, there are 20% who can take practice not serious enough.

Normally those girls feed off each other, so we make sure they are also separated into different stations.

Jun 20, 2015
Is this travel, school, or rec league? This will determine your response level.

I would not suggest using exercise as a form of punishment.
10 push ups will not hurt anyone. it gets their attention and ensures they know you are not messing around. not talking any excessively punative acts. And honestly, will only take 1x maybe 2x and they'll straighten up.

May 17, 2012
10 push ups will not hurt anyone. it gets their attention and ensures they know you are not messing around. not talking any excessively punative acts. And honestly, will only take 1x maybe 2x and they'll straighten up.

In 2023 coaches shouldn't be using exercise or peer pressure as discipline.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478