Curveball speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
They were making solid contact on the ball pretty consistently.
Paying attention to where the hits are going can be a clue as to where the pitches are located. If she is hitting the low outside corner the solid contact should be to right field (assuming RH hitters). What does she say about the pitch location when it comes to solid hits? Educating her about this will help her development as a pitcher. Certainly mixing in fastballs will make the slower curve more effective, the coach should know this.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
( and we are offering feedback on a pitcher that we really do not know
about their control of other pitches,
aka- how often does fastball go wear its supposed to?)
Simply
Video could take this conversation more specific direction of detail!

Or
How about the question how is she performing in travel ball? Or is there travel ball? That's another indicator.

Jan 20, 2023
When my daughter learned a drop her coach wouldn’t call it. Her pitching coach finally said if you get ahead in a game tell your catcher everything called low I’m throwing a drop. She pitched two winning games at her team’s first A tournament throwing a ton of drops. Coach told her that was the best he’d ever seen her pitch. Still wouldn’t call a drop. And didn’t like anyone questioning his calls.

I get the insubordination argument and I am a total rule follower- but sometimes rules need to be bent. Sometimes we need to teach these kids how to deal with future bad bosses - moving forward with their development- while mostly toeing the line and plotting their next move.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
My DDs curve has pretty much always been the same speed and very occasionally faster than her drop and several mph faster than her screw (ues, I know this pitch doesn't exist) and rise. My other daughters curve was noticeably slower but this was due to wrist mechanics that were incorrect which we eventually used to turn it into an off speed curve. Thrown properly, I don't think the speed difference should be that large.

Sep 19, 2018
I get the insubordination argument and I am a total rule follower- but sometimes rules need to be bent. Sometimes we need to teach these kids how to deal with future bad bosses - moving forward with their development- while mostly toeing the line and plotting their next move.
I agree with your post. It is definitely something that we all need to learn how to do & handle. But I am with @RADcatchers on this. This reaction of ignoring a coach really should not be your first instinct. Learning how to communicate and and have an open discussion will be a much better skill to have that artful insubordination.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
When my daughter learned a drop her coach wouldn’t call it. Her pitching coach finally said if you get ahead in a game tell your catcher everything called low I’m throwing a drop. She pitched two winning games at her team’s first A tournament throwing a ton of drops. Coach told her that was the best he’d ever seen her pitch. Still wouldn’t call a drop. And didn’t like anyone questioning his calls.

Your daughter communicated with her catcher!
Will give 👍to that.

As a catcher,
If a pitcher threw pitches other than what were called there would be a direct and immediate conversation
by me.
And...😏 probably the pitcher would know exactly why I was walking toward the circle in the middle of the game! 😉

* yes I agree pitchers should be able to shake off pitches and have interaction on decisions. However they should throw what is agreed upon! 100%

🙂... there are enough other times in the game when the catcher has to deal with the ball not going where it was supposed to...& pitch speed differences matter too.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Sooo? There are people on here that are telling the pitcher to not follow the pitching sign they have been given?!!!
⬆️
imo~Yucky and Bad Adivce!!!

Here are some reasons~

1. That is creating a conflict situation. Absolutely could create more pressure on the players, because now, not only do they have to perform their pitch, they are not following respectfully the coach.
Two pressures!
Or one middle finger. & still have to perform.

2. Catcher should always know what the pitch is. The results could be worse for a pitcher if the catcher doesn't know what's coming.

Yeah, I am going to 100% disagree in this scenario. What do we know...

1. Coach is calling 70% curveballs and it isn't her primary pitch (just learning);
2. Pithcer is getting hit, hard;
3. It's middle school softball;
4. The pitcher throws a "screwball".

There is always nuance in every situation and in this one in particular I would recommend that the pitcher meet the coach halfway. If it's a curveball outside (typical) and she wants to paint it with a fastball instead go for it. Now if he calls change and she throws smoke there are going to be issues, again meet halfway. If the coach calls fastball low and you throw a drop, not a problem.

The concern for the catcher is overblown. At the middle school level, they are only hoping that the pitch thrown is the one that is called. In most middle school games everyone is just praying for strikes so softball can be played.

Again if you have an "A" level catcher (rare) in middle school then sure you can have a private conversation about how to sort it.

In travel, college, and most HS softball I would not give the above advice.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
What do we know...
Like the approach to breaking that down.

1. Coach is calling 70% curveballs and it isn't her primary pitch (just learning);
Why? =Ask

2. Pithcer is getting hit, hard;
What pitch is getting hit? Is the pitch actually doing what it was supposed to do?
3. It's middle school softball;
Yep. Could coach it either way.
Everybody plays/Develop or play to win.
But it is an assumption at this point to think they don't have skills or skill level to acknowledge.
4. The pitcher throws a "screwball".
Theres that.

There is more to this that video could explain better.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
DD has always threw her palm up curve harder than her fastball. Never throws FB in the game. She is a freshman in college and the pitching coach told her this week she want's her to learn an off speed curve. Change and an off speed drop are her best pitches which makes it funny to teach another off speed pitch but. She has great movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigdawg4454