Wilson A2k 1721 vs Wilson A2k David Wright

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My first post here. I have been lurking and taking advantage of you guys knowledge for years though :). I know this thread is from 2020 but I am about to custom order my DD a 3rd base glove. She just started high school. Its between the A2000 DW5 or the A2K DW5 or A2K 1721. Have you guys figured out what the exact difference between these two patterns is over the last 4 years? :p We have HOH catchers mitt but she like the Wilson for infielding glove fwiw.
You can contact me for a discount on that custom glove.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My first post here. I have been lurking and taking advantage of you guys knowledge for years though :). I know this thread is from 2020 but I am about to custom order my DD a 3rd base glove. She just started high school. Its between the A2000 DW5 or the A2K DW5 or A2K 1721. Have you guys figured out what the exact difference between these two patterns is over the last 4 years? :p We have HOH catchers mitt but she like the Wilson for infielding glove fwiw.
Wish I could help you sir, just not too well versed in the differences between a DW5 and 1721. I have done some comparisons between both a 12” DW5 and a 12” Pro1000, both excellent infield patterns!

Why does she favor Wilson more for a fielding glove, just curious?

Sep 10, 2024
Wish I could help you sir, just not too well versed in the differences between a DW5 and 1721. I have done some comparisons between both a 12” DW5 and a 12” Pro1000, both excellent infield patterns!

Why does she favor Wilson more for a fielding glove, just curious?
Just because all her infield gloves have been Wilson. Sentimentality mostly I guess you would say. She also likes how the Wilson customs look better than the Rawlings. What you can control color wise and the availability of colors. She also likes the snakeskin synthetic for the back and how it looks. When we just made her custom HOH she couldn't make anything she liked with any blue, orange, or colors like that in it. She ended up going with the browns, tans, dark browns, white, brick/maroon stuff like that. I call it the "browns" which imo Rawlings do really really well and they look best when using them. I did take your advice of a Pro206 and try to get her to bite on that but failed haha.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois

I purchased the A2K 1721 a while back. Just giving my personal opinion and that of my daughters. Neither one of us like the 1721, too big for a infielders glove. The ball has too much room to move around in the pocket. I have a hard time understanding how anyone would like the a2K 1721 as an infielder, and even a harder time understanding how a baseball player would like that glove.

We both much prefer the A2K 1987 pattern. We are a Wilson gloves family but the 1721 was a poor purchase for us personally.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2024
I purchased the A2K DW5 a while back. Just giving my personal opinion and that of my daughters. Neither one of us like the DW5, too big for a infielders glove. The ball has too much room to move around in the pocket. I have a hard time understanding how anyone would like the dW5 as an infielder, and even a harder time understanding how a baseball player would like that glove.

We both much prefer the A2K 1987 pattern. We are a Wilson gloves family but the DW5 was a poor purchase for us personally.
Thank you for your input. Yeah for 3rd we were trying to find something 12" with a H web. The Rawlings 206 would be a great example but we were looking for a Wilson version of that. It's my understanding a H web will be cushier and deeper for back hands and such than an I web would be. If she was SS or 2nd base the 1987 would be done and done without thought. Have you ever used the Rawlings 206 pattern? Since they appear to be the same basic concept curious how different in practice.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I purchased the A2K DW5 a while back. Just giving my personal opinion and that of my daughters. Neither one of us like the DW5, too big for a infielders glove. The ball has too much room to move around in the pocket. I have a hard time understanding how anyone would like the dW5 as an infielder, and even a harder time understanding how a baseball player would like that glove.

We both much prefer the A2K 1987 pattern. We are a Wilson gloves family but the DW5 was a poor purchase for us personally.
You thought a 12” DW5 was too big for a 12” softball?

My comparison between it and a 12” Pro1000, I thought the DW5 was a hair smaller, and the Pro1000 already measures smaller than it’s listed 12” size.

Every 12” Pro1000 or Pro206 we’ve owned has measured between 11.75” & 12”, never the full 12”.

Never owned a DW5, but owned probably 10+ Pro1000’s and Pro206’s, I always thought it was THE perfect fastpitch infield glove!

Maybe your DD just has killer Ozzie hands! 😉

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coachtomri