College Camps front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2016
DD went to a camp this summer where she LOVED the guy doing front toss. She had ten pitches and she hit 4 or 5 over the fence. She told me after the camp that she hit "okay" but it was really that the coach was the best front tosser ever.

May 27, 2013
I always thought the best camps dd attended were the ones that were capped at a smaller number so teams could be made and the prospects played against each other in scrimmages. I think every single baseball camp I attended with my ds was like this but only a couple of softball camps were. To me it is a great gauge to see how the pitchers, hitters and fielders handled themselves in high pressure game situations (all coaches eyes on them). Skill stations and hitting stations in the morning, games in the afternoon of a full-day camp.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Different camp. I don't think some people realize just how bad the front toss truly was at this camp. It was or at least should have been embarrassing. Everybody (parents and players) were all disappointed. I feel its almost derelict of duty for a coach to hold a subpar camp. I think its part of their job and they should give every effort to run a good, well organized camp. And I reiterate, some coaches are just better at running camps that will give them the better opportunity to evaluate players. Other are like...this is the way we have always done it and they wonder why then they were under .500 in their conference. Organization is a skillset that most good coaches have figured out.
I think you've made good points. In our experience there were camps for evaluation...and camps to earn AC's extra money. The true eval camps had good front toss, stations and ran real well. The others were hit and miss. (pun intended)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, there are two different types of front toss. The one I throw is from about 25 feet and I do either a windup or throw from the K position. (I'm getting old.) However, the other one which I do most of my coaching from is from about 10 feet where I show the ball, take the ball backward, and then deliver the ball. At that distance, I can pinpoint where I am throwing the ball while also betting a great view of what the hitter is doing. At my age, I can throw the first type before games and as a part of practice. I can no longer keep it up with quality strikes for an hour or more.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I always thought the best camps dd attended were the ones that were capped at a smaller number so teams could be made and the prospects played against each other in scrimmages. I think every single baseball camp I attended with my ds was like this but only a couple of softball camps were. To me it is a great gauge to see how the pitchers, hitters and fielders handled themselves in high pressure game situations (all coaches eyes on them). Skill stations and hitting stations in the morning, games in the afternoon of a full-day camp.
My opinion is just the opposite. When teams are scrimmaging, there is too much standing around and good players may not get many chances to show what they can do. Per the pressure, at many of the camps my DD attended, they had their most recent recruits show up and players were challenged to step up and be as good as those recruits. (Mostly done in subtle ways.)

May 27, 2013
My opinion is just the opposite. When teams are scrimmaging, there is too much standing around and good players may not get many chances to show what they can do. Per the pressure, at many of the camps my DD attended, they had their most recent recruits show up and players were challenged to step up and be as good as those recruits. (Mostly done in subtle ways.)
We all have our opinions. What would you like to see that shows what a player can do in a game if not in a game situation?

Again, mentioned that mornings were skill-based - hitting, pitching, fielding, catching, etc. After lunch - games. Seemed to work out really well, IMHO.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We all have our opinions. What would you like to see that shows what a player can do in a game if not in a game situation?

Again, mentioned that mornings were skill-based - hitting, pitching, fielding, catching, etc. After lunch - games. Seemed to work out really well, IMHO.
I don't disagree on your point about the ability for a player to show what they can do in game situations. My argument is that many will not get many opportunities to do so as they stand around in games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigdawg4454