College Camps front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
NCAA rules do not allow college coaches to hold invite-only camps. NCAA bylaws state that institutional camps and clinics must be open to all entrants, with limitations based on age, grade, gender, and number. All camp and clinic advertisements must include language that states the camp is open to all entrants.

That is one reason there is so much varied talent at college camps.
This is true. That said, the ones I have been to recently, sometimes the talent is there but the softball brain is severely lacking. And by this, I am not saying the girls are "dumb" they just don't have a clue as to "what happens next" without someone shouting it to them.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
NCAA rules do not allow college coaches to hold invite-only camps. NCAA bylaws state that institutional camps and clinics must be open to all entrants, with limitations based on age, grade, gender, and number. All camp and clinic advertisements must include language that states the camp is open to all entrants.

That is one reason there is so much varied talent at college camps.
Here let me say this same thing without using the word invite camps.

There is, without a doubt, clinics and camps that are being held that are only being offered to the players they are selecting.

Absolutely 100% positive that happens!

Even if you looked at it like this where they were having limited spots available. They have a 100 players want to sign up, they only pick 25. Absolutely happens!

It also happens with colleges (which I will use Oklahoma OU as an example)
that will host a hitting clinic
(or they call it a hitting clinic.)
However it is for the selected players they have requested. And they do this at locations off campus. Absolutely 100% this happens.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Particularly noticeable when D1 colleges that are within 30 minutes of pgf Nationals are hosting camps that only have 24 players. And even less like 12, 8 players.

Does that sound like a giant money grab camp?
A Cattle call bring one, bring all?!
No.
Those are actually specifically designated to look at particular players.

Hmmm... if the people who aren't invited, arent showing up just to go watch, perhaps people don't know that's happening. 🤔

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Particularly noticeable when D1 colleges that are within 30 minutes of pgf Nationals are hosting camps that only have 24 players. And even less like 12, 8 players.

No.

Hmmm... if the people who aren't invited, arent showing up just to go watch, perhaps people don't know that's happening. 🤔
And they purposely separate them in groups. If you see a group of studs in the other group, you are not being seriously considered a prospect.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
LOL.

NCAA recruiting rules in an era where kids are getting paid real money to play? They're asinine.

Colleges should be allowed to recruit like every other business. OU, UA, and UCLA could post on indeed.com and then fly their candidates in for visits anytime they want.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

No.

I wonder if these types of camps/clinics would be considered an unofficial visit?
I think some coaches are afraid of violating any rules. Most colleges use a third party to announce their camps. I think this is to make sure they do not violate any rules, also.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I had this idea:
A camp that would have cuts at noon. Say you start in the morning with 60 non pitching players. At lunch break coach announced the 25 players that will be coming back after lunch. You get rid of the players that you have no interest in. It would be transparent. Players would know where they stand. Scratch that college off their list and look elsewhere. It's kind of mean to have/allow a player to come to 3 or 4 camps at $300 a pop when the coach knew after the first camp there was absolutely zero chance that player was ever going to be recruited at their school.

Recently at a camp where the head coach announced at the end of camp that they were done with all their 2025 recruiting. I would have been pissed if my DD was a 2025. So a bunch of players basically wasted their time and money attending. Why wouldn't the coach hold a 2026 only camp? Maybe rules??? These popular So Cal Schools camps fill up and sell out in a couple of days of their announcement so it's not like they were going to lose money excluding 2025s.

Feb 7, 2014
LOL.

NCAA recruiting rules in an era where kids are getting paid real money to play? They're asinine.

Colleges should be allowed to recruit like every other business. OU, UA, and UCLA could post on indeed.com and then fly their candidates in for visits anytime they want.

or just separate athletics and education. No reason for the two to mingle.