Choosing HS based on coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
It's not the exact same as UIL but they do have classifications.

For 2012-13, one has 92 and one has 222.
That was the most current I could find.

Classifications:
5A Enrollment Average 391 and above
4A Enrollment Average 191 - 391
3A Enrollment Average 106 – 191
2A Enrollment Average 60 – 105
1A Enrollment Average 59 and below

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's not the exact same as UIL but they do have classifications.

For 2012-13, one has 92 and one has 222.
That was the most current I could find.

Classifications:
5A Enrollment Average 391 and above
4A Enrollment Average 191 - 391
3A Enrollment Average 106 – 191
2A Enrollment Average 60 – 105
1A Enrollment Average 59 and below

Is that 9th through 12th enrollment? In Georgia, all schools with enrollment below about 500 are placed in Class A.

And to OILF - Public and private schools play for the same titles except in Class A. There are six classes. Private schools were the all-sports champions in all but the top two classes, even though there are only about 12 private-schools in AAAA, AAA and AA combined. Those few private schools totally dominate. Even Class A had publics and privates competing for the same titles until 2012. Softball is one of the sports where public schools compete fairly well vs. private schools.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I believe it is 9-12 enrollment. Older dd goes to the 3a school and there is around 40-50 in her sophomore class. Her sister just enrolled in 7th grade at the 2a school with about 60 in her class so the rankings may change this year.

They will play many of the local public school teams during non conference.

Jun 1, 2013
Better academically???? Who says or who determines if they are better academically? How much better is an A vs a B on the school report card? I hope everyone isn't trusting those report cards because that grading system can be manipulated as well. I guess I am one of those parents that will take a strong athletic program over the higher "graded" academic school. I am doing it now actually. My kids will not go to the local school that has an A. Instead we ha e chosen a school with a C and strong athletic program. I know well the politics of the A school and they are 100% fudging the numbers and breaking the law Iin my opinion. When these kids get out of school, very few will be able to clep English 101. In other words they will all go to the same entry level classes. So what is the true difference in the grade? Academics is just like sports in my opinion, you get out of it what you put into it. What is funny is this A school close by doesn't compete well because most of their athletes are academically ineligible....how is that? In my opinion you will turn out a more well rounded student athlete if they are on a competitive HS team.

Jun 1, 2013
I know that all situations aren't the same and my rebuttal is not meant for inner city kids or parents. I would 1000% agree that in large cities take the higher graded school over the better athletic school. However that is not the case where I live. I actually have a choice of 6 different high schools, 4a to B class within decent driving distance, the closest being a school that has an A and "focused" on academics. What they are actually doing is targeting low performing students and forcing them out if opportunity arises. This past year the report card was 93 for high school and 72 for junior high... That is a hell of a jump. Coincidentally, their enrollment for high school is down drastically compared to junior high....go figure.

Nov 14, 2011
I will add another variable into the equation for everyone. It sounds like many of you are in an "open enrollment" area. Where I live we are not. We get one choice for a high school if we want to use public/government. If you want a different school it must be private or move to that city.

What frustrates me is that because of NCLB (No Child Left Behind) they now give an option of a student moving from their jurisdiction to another school of their choice. Our youngest dd was at one of those schools. The school has been on the NCLB naughty list for the last 5 years and is eligible to transfer. Except the other Jr. High school is also on the NCLB naughty list, so we can't send her there! So now we qualify to send our kid out of our school district to the next town over for schooling, but.... They won't take any more kids because they are full. So you have both Jr. High schools on the NCLB and not one person has lost their job. (Sorry I'm venting!)

The High School that my oldest dd is attending is decent. They have higher level classes that challenge my dd and they gave out over $70k in scholarships this year alone to graduating seniors. Not bad, but the graduation rate is 68% (I think, but I'm close).

Our softball program is average at best. We are sitting at 20 wins 13 losses for the year with Regional game tonight. The local private school is real good. I think they are 25 wins 7 losses this year and won their Regional already. I guess if you can afford the $$$ in tuition on top of the great Illinois tax rate that you already pay then that might be an option. For us it really isn't a viable option.

Jun 1, 2013
Huh? Are you saying most high schools are pretty much equal academically and you can get the same academics out of any school so it doesn't matter?

No, not saying that at all. I am asking the question how are people determining if the schools are better. The report cards can be manipulated and if you aren't using that then how are you determining it is better academically?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I never hear academics being a problem here at Tucson's large schools. There is more than one district and the education at any of them seems to be equal. You could, though pick Basis or U High, if you are looking at test scores. At least a few of my students choose to home school and are free to play softball at whatever local school will let them. It is up to the individual school.

Apr 1, 2010
No, not saying that at all. I am asking the question how are people determining if the schools are better. The report cards can be manipulated and if you aren't using that then how are you determining it is better academically?

You look at the percentages of college-bound seniors, the average ACT/SAT/state assessment scores, the class sizes...

US News and World Report has national and state-by-state rankings of high schools--you may agree or disagree with their assessments, but it's a place to start. (DD's is #5 in our state, so whether the softball is good or not, that's where she's going LOL.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44