Catcher's gear recommendation for 13 y/o girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
DD has expressed interest in catching. She currently plays 1B but wants to be more valuable to prospective teams and I support her thinking. She tried on a friend's gear today and I threw her some pitches. She seemed to really like it. I told her to catch a pitcher that can hit 50 and see if she still likes it.

Anyway, I think I'd like to go a little cheap at first to see if she wants to continue. She's 13 and big (tall) for her age. I can always flip it and put the $ towards a better set if she wants to stick with it. So, yeah. More stuff that will take my moneh!

Jun 11, 2013
I found a decent set at Play it Again Sports. Did buy a quality helmet new at a sporting good store. Plus you get the purchase a catcher mitt.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
just bought our 12U catcher all Diamond gear, real nice stuff ! Also bought her a 33" TPS Valkyrie catchers mitt. The Diamond stuff is a little pricey but the Valkyrie mitt can Be had for $59.00 to $69.00. Great glove for the money.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's MVP Mizuno glove had held up over two seasons. 50 is the low end for 14U, have her catch some closer to 55 and get her a palm guard inner glove. Easton makes a nice lightweight helmet and DD likes the Rawlings shin guards and chest protector.

As for cost look for used otherwise expect to spend closer to 100 per piece. Glove, helmet, chest protector and shin guards.

Maxball bag for when you need a real catchers bag.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree. Watch the dvd, try to find a good deal on equipment. However, if you find yourself planning to buy new gear, I'd take her somewhere she can try some on to find out what works for her. Not all catchers like the same thing.

Adding...I would say that of helmet, leg guards, chest protector and mitt, the nicest one to have new is the helmet.

A new mitt can be very stiff which is one extra problem a new catcher does not need! Old leg guards and chest protectors, while they might be a little battered and grimy, at least are worn with clothing between them and your DD. An old helmet is going to transfer its smell, dirt and sweat (and possibly lice, ringworm) right to your DD's head. And on my DD's helmet, I noticed that part of the face bar was bent. I'm guessing that might have been from the tournament where she got a concussion. I wonder if that helmet's protection has been compromised in some small way from taking a sharp blow like that in the past? JMO.

The way to measure as best I know:

Helmet measurements correspond with hat size. For a leg guard, you measure from the middle of the knee cap to the ankle. For a chest protector, you measure from the collarbone notch at the throat down to the bellybutton/waist.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Picked up a used set of Wilson Shock helmet and leg guards, and a Schutt chest protector. All for $50. Used one H.S. season only. I think it's a good deal. I looked up the model #s and the stuff is over $200 new.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06