Catcher square or sideways when throwing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2009
Tucson, AZ
catching technique?

I am new but just happened to post a catcher's video on Youtube for coach/parents to review. I never would advocate this gal's technique, but we shot her throws to 2nd from different angles and there were no bloopers to edit. She gets rid of the ball in a flash and on target. Thought younger catchers out there would find the inspiration to keep working hard.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBi3Aetz4I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JTBi3Aetz4I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
While the young lady makes a good acurate throw from her knees I have some thoughts about her stance and the implications of setting up the way she does.

I hope she doesn't use that as her regular throwing mechanics when a runner is on base. With her stance turned so far sideways she is comlpetely out of position to handle a pitch to her right. If the pitch were to go into the ground to her right it will be nearly impossible to get herself turned back around to that side to block it. Also pitches to the outside of her right shoulders will be difficult to keep looking like a strike if they are tailing away from her.

Jan 15, 2009
You'll notice she sets up square to the plate for blocking and framing but sets up turned 45 or more to throw from her knees. IMO the trade off is that you can't block/frame or even catch as well turned 45 degrees and you can't stop doing those things just because a runner is on base and may be stealing.

I think she does a good job framing by beating the ball to the spot and holding ground probably the best part of the video for her, really liked the way she got under the low ball and met it coming up, don't think it would fool a good ump, but it's great technique. A few of the blocks she was working into a block position early which isn't realistic, would edit those out and only leave in the blocks where she really popped into position.

Hitting looked pretty good, good arm position at contact(arms still bent and able to extend through contact), thought her hips were a little ahead of her swing on a few shots, but not bad.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
You'll notice she sets up square to the plate for blocking and framing but sets up turned 45 or more to throw from her knees. IMO the trade off is that you can't block/frame or even catch as well turned 45 degrees and you can't stop doing those things just because a runner is on base and may be stealing.

SnocatzDad,

You have the right idea. Turning to the side may help a throw in a "showcase" type setup but in a game you will cause yourself problems as you stated in that you just may have to block when that runner is on base too.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We have found in working with catchers many are taught to angle their stance to be more prepared to throw out a runner. While there may be a (arguably) slight advantage, we have also watched these same catchers attempt to block pitches at full speed (not soft toss) and as Snocatzdad and Catching Coach noted, the catcher gives up the ability to block the ball. Younger catchers with fast hands will many times catch the errant pitch, but they are at a disadvantage as age and pitching speeds increase. I always ask my catchers which they do more of? Block pitches or throw out runners. All have replied blocking pitches. So we encourage them to set up for the skill they use the most. Then make sure they have the tools to make the throw. The DD's best time throwing from squared away stance is 1.78 (pop time at an exposure camp) Game conditions are slightly slower. So a fast throw can be made and the catcher can still block the ball. (The DD blocked 4 balls this summer/fall with runners attempting to steal. Every one of them was thrown out!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy