Catcher square or sideways when throwing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Dave,
I'm sure you've worked with catchers that young that had plenty of arm, but reality is that a kid that's in private lessons at 8 yrs old isn't very representative of the overall population. Looking at this specific kid, in this specific video based on the ball dropping in from a pretty high arc, I'm guessing if she makes that throw from 3 ft behind the plate the ball might roll and stop short of 2B. Honestly she looks pretty strong to me for a 10U catcher there are plenty that can't make that throw.

It probably makes sense to teach them proper footwork right away even if they can't be successful, but to me a crow hop or taking a step into the throw is acceptable at that age and not that hard to remove when they get older.

First off I agree this young lady seems to be on the high side of arm strengh for a 10U. Not exactly sure what your reference to 8yr old's in private lessons was about. The only time I see 8yr olds is in my youth age group clinics.

This statement of yours was the gist of my whole thought on this thread.

It probably makes sense to teach them proper footwork right away even if they can't be successful

I see so many catchers from all over the country that no one has ever gone back to and taught them to get rid of that step. I'd like to see them never use it at all.

Sep 3, 2009
I see so many catchers from all over the country that no one has ever gone back to and taught them to get rid of that step. I'd like to see them never use it at all.

Mr Weaver, are you saying they should be throwing from where they receive the ball? and not "stepping into the throw" ? Just to clarify, we're talking about the throw to 2nd.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Mr Weaver, are you saying they should be throwing from where they receive the ball? and not "stepping into the throw" ? Just to clarify, we're talking about the throw to 2nd.

The "step" I am referring to that I like eliminated is the one with the right foot, not the left foot. As you see in the clip I posted the catcher just slides the right foot to her mid-line, turns the foot so her instep is facing the target and then "steps", drives her left foot and leg towards the target.

I feel when the throw is started with a step forward with the right foot there is time wasted.

Hope this clarifies things

Sep 3, 2009
The "step" I am referring to that I like eliminated is the one with the right foot, not the left foot. As you see in the clip I posted the catcher just slides the right foot to her mid-line, turns the foot so her instep is facing the target and then "steps", drives her left foot and leg towards the target.

I feel when the throw is started with a step forward with the right foot there is time wasted.

Hope this clarifies things

I understand, that makes sense. I was always under the impression that the step forward, would get the catcher on, or in front of the plate, and away from the batter. Sometimes batters are slow to get out of the box, or don't at all. With a right handed catcher and a right handed batter, it might not be an issue. What if it's a right handed catcher and a southpaw in the box? Is there a slight step to the left to gain clearance for the throw?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Learn it right the first time!

First, an unsolicited endorsement for Catching Coach's 'catcher coach training DVD' - its an incredible resource for only $40. Its a high-quality video of a live 3-hour session entirely intended to train/teach coaches to teach and train catchers. I use it as the baseline reference for my U16 travel catchers - Dave does the teaching, I just do the reminding - works great, particularly w/ my DD!

Second - a note from the school of hard knocks - As a former D1 college BB catcher, I was forced to relearn my footwork (eliminating the crow hop) in college to improve my release time because I wasn't throwing out enough runners. LL thru HS, I was able to be successful primarily due to above-average velocity (clocked at 85 mph as a pitcher), which didn't end up cutting it when the runners' speed stepped up a level.

I'm firmly convinced that its better to teach/learn the proper technique from the onset and live w/ the short throw until the arm strength develops rather than completely re-learn the propert technique (footwork, body position, timing etc.) Think about it this way - how many coaches would advocate teaching kids one way to swing/hit when they're young/small and then 2-4 years later try to make drastic changes to that in-grained swing when they're older/bigger? Accordingly, I recommend sacrificing the short-term aesthetics and living w/ the ugly one-hopper until the catcher's body physically matures, because, as shown in the initial video, when on target, many 1-hop throws are sufficiently effective to record the out at any age level - LL to MLB! (And, when they do, I'll bet that MLB catchers secretly still feel like celebrating the same way that SSP's DD does!)

Another consideration - crow-hopping catchers are commonly seen w/ boys moving from the 60-ft LL diamond to the 90-ft BIG diamond around age 13 when the throw from home to 2nd drastically increases from 85 ft to 127 ft (I still remember how much further it seemed at that time). As noted in a prior post, you've got to have a substantial gain in velocity to overcome a slower release time (particularly true w/ the greater BB distance), BUT once a "crow-hopper" (slower release, but greater velocity) and "in-place thrower" (the footwork described by Dave i.e., faster release, potentially slightly less velocity) physically mature, the advantage immediately and significantly goes to the kid w/ the better footwork and quicker release. The crow-hopper is then at a disadvantage because they have to re-learn their entire approach, which isn't impossible, but if its a competitive playing time situation, they may not have the time or opportunity to refine their skills quickly enough to continue playing the position they've often grown to love.

Still day-dreaming that I might be in another line of work if I'd have learned the proper footwork the first time (oh, yeah, now I remember that there also was that little problem hitting the curve) - Greenmonsters

Attachments

• Eddie Feigner.jpg
    Eddie Feigner.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 52
May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I understand, that makes sense. I was always under the impression that the step forward, would get the catcher on, or in front of the plate, and away from the batter. Sometimes batters are slow to get out of the box, or don't at all. With a right handed catcher and a right handed batter, it might not be an issue. What if it's a right handed catcher and a southpaw in the box? Is there a slight step to the left to gain clearance for the throw?

Absdad,

Our motto is "Runner goes.....Catcher throws"

No time to plan a route around a batter. The mechanics you see in the video shows how the catcher is throwing between her shoulders. Never venturing left or right of her own midline.

Sep 14, 2009
PlaySundaySoftball,

I
It is important for her to learn to close off the front side and be throwing with her hips and legs as well.

Notice this catchers stance with runners on. Your daughter was in a very deep crouch so the first few 10/ths of a second we devoted to standing up. Down the road that will add to much time to her throw.

Watch the clip below. You will see how the catchers right foot slides accross to her mid-point then her foot turns so her instep is toward the target.

This helps her left hip close as she drives her left leg towards the target.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s115.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid115.photobucket.com/albums/n294/catchingcoach/Softball throw 2nd/T2-BIG-F.flv"></embed>

She has been practicing like the girl in the video. She played 2 pool games last night and she sorta did a cross between the old way and the way in the video. Habits are hard to break. She did stay out of the deep crouch anytime she had runners on though. Hopefully I will have some new video of her getting a runner out at 2nd by the end of the weekend!!
Play Sunday Softball

Sep 3, 2009
Absdad,

Our motto is "Runner goes.....Catcher throws"

No time to plan a route around a batter. The mechanics you see in the video shows how the catcher is throwing between her shoulders. Never venturing left or right of her own midline.

We watched your video again last night to be clear. I think you made a reference to it being wasted action. But it's clear now. Thanks.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
PlaySundaySoftball,
The throw was very good and on the money. I would be jumping up and down too. It's a great moment to catch on video!!
At her age she will be able to make that throw on arm only. As she progresses and faces faster runners, she will eventually be at a disadvantage in only using her arm to throw. It is important to begin the throw from the proper "runner-on" stance, progress to slide the right foot to middle and set up properly for the throw. Then follow through and throw with the entire body.
To learn throwing with her whole body at this age will be easier than unlearning and relearning to throw later. It will also reduce the risk of injury of the shoulder and elbow. The best part will be getting to video many more throw outs at second and third as she grows and faces faster runners! I still love watching my senior make that play!

Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Dec 15, 2009
I am a catcher and the coaches let me decide how i wanted to set up on a steal. I learned from experience that it's best to stay square. That way if there would be a wild pitch you are more likely to stop it....if you are turned and the wild pitch isn't on the side you are facing, it is tough to block the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy