Catcher Ejected

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If I knew how to attach a video from my lap top I would. Another dad sent me the video clip from this weekend's D3 College Game. Runner on 3rd. Pitch is thrown down and inside. Catcher is forced to go down and to her left to get the ball. Batter avoids the ball. Runner at 3rd makes her lead and immediately goes back to the base. The batter then turns and takes several steps toward (out of the box)the 3rd base coach to get the sign as nothing is happening. Catcher then stands, takes several steps out of the box and basically tackles the batter while making a throw to 3rd base. Umpire immediately ejects the catcher. Some 12U coach must have coached her to do this at some point, but she got it wrong.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
ETBU vs Howard Payne @ETBU. Interesting. I don't see any of the games from that series on their website. They have been hosting a lot of games for other schools at their field last week and this week and all those games are posted. I believe it was the Sat game. bottom of the 4th with bases loaded and 2 outs based on the video.

Feb 20, 2019
If I knew how to attach a video from my lap top I would. Another dad sent me the video clip from this weekend's D3 College Game. Runner on 3rd. Pitch is thrown down and inside. Catcher is forced to go down and to her left to get the ball. Batter avoids the ball. Runner at 3rd makes her lead and immediately goes back to the base. The batter then turns and takes several steps toward (out of the box)the 3rd base coach to get the sign as nothing is happening. Catcher then stands, takes several steps out of the box and basically tackles the batter while making a throw to 3rd base. Umpire immediately ejects the catcher. Some 12U coach must have coached her to do this at some point, but she got it wrong.
I haven't seen the play you referenced, but I did post a couple of videos from a 12U game last fall in which the coaching staff had clearly instructed the catcher to intentionally hit the batter in the head with the ball to draw a BI.

We also had an umpire approach the coach (w/o his request) to say they would have called BI if our catcher had thrown the ball at the batter (in a game where the score was not even close). I don't understand why this is being coached and/or top of mind for umpires. The rule has a legitimate role in the game but if coaches are teaching catchers to intentionally throw at batters, or spending any amount of time working on this in practice, they need to stop coaching.

Jul 27, 2021
Thanks CloudofDust. I was trying to find those videos again. Was going to use them in my on going "No contact, No foul" and how absurd things get.

May 29, 2015
We also had an umpire approach the coach (w/o his request) to say they would have called BI if our catcher had thrown the ball at the batter (in a game where the score was not even close).

Then that umpire, just like a coach or a parent, needs a good talking to and a game off.

The ONLY time you MUST have a throw to call interference is Runner's Lane Interference. The reason you cannot make the call without a throw is that the rule is written for interference with the fielder receiving, NOT the throw itself. With no throw, there can be no receiving.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802