Bottom of the roster

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't have discussions with parents about playing time. If I get a call about playing time, I let them know we are doing what is best for the team.

''What is best for the team'' must be defined. I don't know what that means. I agree that if a head coach defines ''what is best for the team'' in preseason (that is, his/her philosophy on how players will be used), and then sticks to that plan, there is no need to have coach-parent discussions about the lineup/batting order. You provided the answer before the season started.

But I do think I as a parent would have the right to question a coach about going back on his word: ''You said before the season that nobody would sit out an entire game. My DD sat out two on Sunday. What's up with that?"

Feb 7, 2013
As a coach you should never promise anything otherwise you back yourself in a corner and limit your ability to make decisions on the fly and manage the team as you see fit. For example, I would never say "no player will sit the whole game". Sometimes you want to rest players (e.g catcher on a hot day).

When I coached, I would tell the team at the first practice that I have three goals 1) teach softball fundamentals 2) field a competitive but not necessarily a winning team, and 3) make sure the girls are having fun.

I also think the 24 hour rule helps alleviate most of the drama as emotions run high during and right after the game. I caught myself this weekend and was going to approach the coaches about why they don't call my DDs best pitch especially when the other team was hitting her hard but I didn't say anything and by the next day I had calmed down. Sometimes as a parent you need to let go and have faith in the coaches that they are trying to do the right thing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As a coach you should never promise anything otherwise you back yourself in a corner and limit your ability to make decisions on the fly and manage the team as you see fit. ...

I agree that you shouldn't make foolish promises, such as ''your daughter is going to be my shortstop,'' but as a parent, I would want you to put yourself on the line more than what you say here:

When I coached, I would tell the team at the first practice that I have three goals 1) teach softball fundamentals 2) field a competitive but not necessarily a winning team, and 3) make sure the girls are having fun.

Every coach plans to teach the fundamentals. Every coach tries to make sure his players have fun. Every coach plans to field a competitive team. There's no meat. Maybe it was a mistake, but on the last team that I was head coach, I made several promises - Roster would be capped at 11. Every player would bat every game assuming good health and good attitude. Pickup players would be used only if needed to give us 10 players.

I guess it's like politics. You have to find a balance that you believe works best for your constituency. Would make a good thread by itself.

Jan 24, 2011
This season , I have only carried 10 on the roster. It has had both positives and negatives. But , the general rotation has been that I bat all 10 (when rules allow) and whichever of our two pitchers that isn't pitching will sit out on Defense for that game. I didn't promise it this way , it kinda just evolved into it. However , if I felt we ever needed to deviate , I certainly would.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
I coach a team of 12 girls and we have 3 sub-par hitters but their OBP is really high so i moved one to the 2 spot one to the 6 spot and one to the 9 spot and surrounded them with high batting averages. What has happened is the girls in the 2 spot is getting more at bats and killing the ball now (we had her bunting only for roughly 15 at bats) the 6 spot girl is still on her bunting as well as the 9 spot girl. now they only bat in pool play. Bracket play we field and bat our best 9 and sometimes we go w 2 EPs and bat 11 then lat in the game we sub in our bench for position. Again that worked for us but may not work for you.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Seems like that if it's determined in March that I'm the 11th-best hitter and no longer get chances to play in bracket games that I have no real chance of getting in the top 9 since the girls that already hit better than me get all that bracket-game experience that I don't get.

Jan 24, 2011
Seems like that if it's determined in March that I'm the 11th-best hitter and no longer get chances to play in bracket games that I have no real chance of getting in the top 9 since the girls that already hit better than me get all that bracket-game experience that I don't get.

You crack that top 9 by continuing to work hard by practicing your hitting and then hitting the hell out of the ball with your pool play AB's

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You crack that top 9 by continuing to work hard by practicing your hitting and then hitting the hell out of the ball with your pool play AB's

I know it's possible, but it's a tough row to hoe, and made even harder by the lack of valuable bracket-game at-bats, when you're seeing the best pitchers. Seems like there is a huge advantage in this race to those who are the best 9 out of the gate. And if you're not going to be one of the best 9 out of the gate, then it would be better to be on a team that was committed to developing all 11 hitters to their fullest rather than winning more games now.

Jan 24, 2011
I know it's possible, but it's a tough row to hoe, and made even harder by the lack of valuable bracket-game at-bats, when you're seeing the best pitchers. Seems like there is a huge advantage in this race to those who are the best 9 out of the gate. And if you're not going to be one of the best 9 out of the gate, then it would be better to be on a team that was committed to developing all 11 hitters to their fullest rather than winning more games now.

Yes , it is tough. But , that's just the way it is. Probably finding a team that is better suited for your current ability might be the best option. There is almost always going to be a separation in the talent level of the roster. The ones on the lower end just have to take it upon themselves to move up the pecking order , especially on any competitive team past 12u

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC

I agree 100% with this. Last year at the start of season, team took my DD on the roster as she was learning to slap. We were told she would get fair amount of bracket play, as she needed lots of game experience. Problem is, she faced terrible pool play pitchers and rarely got a hit. As season progressed she rarely got into bracket play. It was not helping her at all. This year she is playing on a more developmental type team, and is #2 batter. Her game has improved greatly with the large number of at bats. We asked lots of questions before joining, and glad we did. We are much happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234