Becoming a pitcher only?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Pitching does take a ton of time/work. I'm glad my DD likes it so much. And of course I like it because she likes it (among other reasons).

We do often wonder how well she'd hit if all those hours went to hitting instead of pitching.

May 13, 2021
Pitching does take a ton of time/work. I'm glad my DD likes it so much. And of course I like it because she likes it (among other reasons).

We do often wonder how well she'd hit if all those hours went to hitting instead of pitching.
I know what you mean, every other aspect of your game suffers if you are a pitcher.

Aug 21, 2008
She batted a few games in college. In her last at bat, she hit a double, rounded 2B, and the SS tripped her. The coaches didn't want to risk losing her.
I had a pretty long reply based off this quote from Sluggers. But the more I wrote it, the more I began to think that a lot of people reading this would tell me how wrong I am, that I should be ashamed of myself, and all kinds of disagreements with what I had typed. So, I deleted it and will just ask this question instead:

Did the shortstop who tripped your kid get drilled the next time she came up to bat? :)

May 18, 2019
It happened for us at second year 14U and when we joined a team where the replacement hitter was not a massive drop-off. As she was P1, the physical and emotional toll of pitching a lot made her migrate to being happy with that. I liked it because it protected her from increasingly costly injury as her college potential became clear. Now she's hitting leadoff for high school so I'll be on pins and needles though she now owns almost every piece of protective equipment known to man.

May 27, 2013
Just curious - why do people feel pitchers are more injury-prone when hitting/base running than other players? Personally I’m more concerned about overuse injuries with pitchers vs when they hit/run. I guess this is where true athleticism comes into play?

That all being said, my dd did get HBP last season and it took her several weeks to be able to pitch again where she was back to herself so I guess I get it, but the same thing could have happened to the other fielders where we don’t have more than one that plays that position.

May 18, 2019
Just curious - why do people feel pitchers are more injury-prone when hitting/base running than other players? Personally I’m more concerned about overuse injuries with pitchers vs when they hit/run. I guess this is where true athleticism comes into play?

That all being said, my dd did get HBP last season and it took her several weeks to be able to pitch again where she was back to herself so I guess I get it, but the same thing could have happened to the other fielders where we don’t have more than one that plays that position.
I don't think there is more likelihood of injury, just a massive impact for the team when P1 tears an ACL/MCL/PCL etc.

Aug 21, 2008

I don't necessarily think people believe pitchers are injury prone. But, it's playing the percentages. There's a higher chance she's going to get hurt running the bases vs. sitting on the bench. And these injuries can vary like you said from a HBP to a pulled hamstring running to a SS tripping the runner on the basepath.

There's the other factors too like keeping the pitcher out of the sun on hot days, instead of wearing a hot batting helmet and either running in the hot sun, or worse, standing on a base for a long time. Lets say she (pitcher) leads off with a triple and and is on 3rd with no outs. There's no telling how long she'll be on 3rd. Moreover, additional injuries can happen if she tries scoring on a passed ball, there's a close play at the plate, she has to slide (potential problem) and then collision with whomever is making the tag (another potential problem).

Another advantage of using a DH is getting another girl and opportunity to play in that game. No, I'm not all about giving participation awards where everyone gets a trophy. But, this might be the only saving grace that some of these coaches have when parents complain that their kid wasn't in the game. Not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that coaches sometimes use a DH for this purpose.

I was a decent hitter in my youth, I never played baseball so I never had to make the baseball to softball conversion of my swing. When I played overseas, I'd usually DH when I wasn't pitching. Then if I had to come into the game to pitch, I was still in the line up. But I never minded being DH'd for, if the guy hitting for me was a better hitter than me. OOOOR, if I was playing in Houston where I experienced the most outrageous heat I've ever been in. I've never experienced anything like that heat, it was unreal. Now I'm going to brag with zero shame, I was an excellent sac bunter. I was phenomenal at doing sac bunts. I have few things to brag about so when the opportunity comes up... I brag about that one!!! lol

May 27, 2013
I get what you’re saying Bill but what if your pitcher is also one of your top hitters?

Nov 5, 2014
I get what you’re saying Bill but what if your pitcher is also one of your top hitters?
I would say at the college level these are the only P who hit, the ones who are game changers at the plate. P who are just middle of the pack typically don't hit in college. Not worth the risk and not worth the time needed to dedicate to bullpens and taking BP when you can have a replacement who is just as good or better

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I say let them hit...the number of years they get to play the game is very short. If they can hit, have speed and athleticism and know how to compete...let them play the game. I get that not every kid wants that or can do it. Sure there's a risk of injury (we've experienced it) but as Vertigo said there's also the concern of overuse from pitching. While we're at it I'm all for letting them play other positions as well (more so OF) but often times a kid who is really into the sport can be the best option. Manage around it and let them play. Just my .02 that you get for free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles