Reasonable Expectations?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2023
10u pitcher (just turned 11 year old) starting training last July. Pretty consistent at least 1x a week usually 2-3 a week sometimes 4.

Training at very well-regarding facility nearby with quality instructions who have all pitched/coached at the highest levels.

Not particularly big kid but growing into tall and lanky frame (4'8 about 82 pounds) started mid 20mph last year up to 37-39 now but control is still a work in progress.

I thought she'd be further along pitching-wise at this point and I feel like I've neglected other areas of development (fielding and hitting) by focusing so much on pitching but that's what she loves.

I know velocity will come with time and growth and strength (and mechanics) but I'm somewhat concerned about the lack of consistent accuracy at this point....But I'm not sure what a general timeframe is for this stuff.

Trainers say she is doing well for her age but I though all these lessons would have really moved things along further.

Any thoughts for a new softball parent trying to make sure we are on the right path?

EDIT: Went back to count, about 75 pitching lessons so far since last June..some 30mins some 1 hour.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
but I'm somewhat concerned about the lack of consistent accuracy at this point
Depends on how you are defining accuracy.

Throwing strikes? If after almost a year of at least weekly practice she cannot consistently throw a strike, then I would be fairly concerned.

If accuracy means inside/outside consistently, then that can take a bit longer to develop and is only really done through a LOT of repetition.

If accuracy means all four corners, that takes even longer.

For just throwing strikes, that is from form and technique. If she is struggling with that after a year, then something in her form is off.

May 4, 2023
Depends on how you are defining accuracy.

Throwing strikes? If after almost a year of at least weekly practice she cannot consistently throw a strike, then I would be fairly concerned.

If accuracy means inside/outside consistently, then that can take a bit longer to develop and is only really done through a LOT of repetition.

If accuracy means all four corners, that takes even longer.

For just throwing strikes, that is from form and technique. If she is struggling with that after a year, then something in her form is off.
Thanks...I just mean consistently throwing strikes period. Like she might strike someone out and then walk a couple/few/or more kids, rinse and repeat...Those are not at 4-0 counts all the time mind you (sometimes they are)

Maybe a better way to say it is I'm concerned about her ball to strike ratio and/or walk to strikeout ratio. Putting too many people on base overall.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
If she loves to pitch and she is putting in the work that is all you can really ask of an 11yo. Let her keep pitching.
For point of reference, my DD walked (+ HBP)

1st year 10U - on average 2 per inning. (she had about 3 months of lessons at that point)
2nd year 10U - .8 per inning.
1st Year 12U - .65 per inning
2nd year 12U - under .5 per inning.

Some things to know. She had some zip in 10U. By 12U she was not a hard thrower. Very often, if the batter swung, the ball was put in play. The definitely keep walks down. She had the lowest Walks to Inning Pitched Ratio on her team.

Apr 12, 2015
Thanks...I just mean consistently throwing strikes period.
Another question.....Can she throw consistent strikes in practice? It can take some kids what feels like a long time to adjust to facing batters as a lot of the issues that crop up there are on the mental side. If she is pretty solid in practice and loses control facing batters, that would be on the mental side of things and just takes time and experience to work its way out.

However, if after 10 months of at least weekly practice she can't consistently throw strikes in practice, then yes, I would certainly be concerned. If she is having problems with accuracy in practice then something is definitely off mechanically. A pitcher that is 3 to 6 months in should be able to throw a basic strike about 70% of the time (in a stress free environment).

Maybe a better way to say it is I'm concerned about her ball to strike ratio and/or walk to strikeout ratio. Putting too many people on base overall.

I wouldn't worry too much about the walk/strikeout ratio in 10U, nor would I worry about walks too much in general. If she's throwing close to a
1:1 ratio for balls/strikes, I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

The curve of pitcher development can seem very long, but as long as its skewing towards improvement, she'll be fine.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023
Another question.....Can she throw consistent strikes in practice? It can take some kids what feels like a long time to adjust to facing batters as a lot of the issues that crop up there are on the mental side. If she is pretty solid in practice and loses control facing batters, that would be on the mental side of things and just takes time and experience to work its way out.

However, if after 10 months of at least weekly practice she can't consistently throw strikes in practice, then yes, I would certainly be concerned. If she is having problems with accuracy in practice then something is definitely off mechanically. A pitcher that is 3 to 6 months in should be able to throw a basic strike about 70% of the time.
last month or so she's been doing close to that during her training sessions. I think maybe we need to reinforce it at home too. I have a turf mound and 35ft in the basement so perhaps we need to go down there more frequently during the week. I would say on balance her ball to strike ratio probably 50/50 overall.

Her travel team decided not to do fall ball or winter practice, despite our pleas. She pitched 1 inning so far and did ok...struck out 2 walked a couple got a batted ball out.

2 innings in rec thus far....(our rec ends in june so really her first game action is this year) 1 was similar to travel inning but the other was a disaster mostly because she had to come in cold due to a pitcher injury and was overly-nervous about not having warmed up.

Apr 12, 2015
Sounds like she is doing just fine. For work at home, just have her throw about 5 feet into a net and strongly focus on the proper techniques. If she's getting good lessons, they should be giving her "homework" to do in between lessons or certain things to focus on.

Its amazing how much accuracy can and does improve when a pitcher spends a few weeks NOT throwing to a catcher.

All that said, without seeing actual video of her, all the advice you get is going to be pretty generic.

May 18, 2019
Sounds fine. Not walking in a bunch of runs is success at 10u. Consistency in practice is the most important thing. Very few kids have put in 6 years of work by 14U and it shows when they have especially if the pitching coach is good. The mental side is real. If she's dealing with any anxiety, learning to let go is as important as the physical mechanics. The best thing you can do there is support her vs criticize. Be her biggest fan, cheer the victories and listen when the failures happen.

Jul 27, 2021
Sounds like a very normal course in 10u/12u.

What I see that is missing is discussion of over training. Kids need to be kids. They do not need practice and games 7 days a week all year long.

The growth of an athlete has been well studied. The demands and stress of excessive training will have significant negative effects on physical and mental well being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802