barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
He has some prodigious extension.

I think usually in a game the ball ends up travelling more (gets hit not SO far out in front). So usually there is more bend left in the rear arm.

The driveline article mentions that the higher the level of play the deeper in the zone it is struck on average.

Here's correa blast vid vs game. Also pitch location matters obviously.
View attachment 17646View attachment 17647
Personally I believe(and I heard JD mention as well) most damage is done out front, ball travels further. I don't mean reaching for the ball, and of course it depends on pitch location. Although, as a hitter you shouldn't be thinking out front too much though.. susceptible to the off speed pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
Apparently so. I used the bottom pic you showed as an example of "perfect contact position" a couple days ago, and said he "might be just a tad too far out front", and that if, "everything was pushed to the left a little bit, he'd be in just about the "perfect" contact position as there could be". But maybe that's just "perfect" for him, and he likes to have contact just slightly more out in front than some other hitters....and why I used "perfect" in quotation marks originally when using the word, because what's "perfect" for one hitter and/or observer, might not be the same "perfect" for another.

Looks like Correa likes contact just a tad further out than say Pujols or some other hitter(s). Thanks for the pics. (y)
You probably have to take into account that he likely knew what pitch was coming.. :LOL:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Apparently so. I used the bottom pic you showed as an example of "perfect contact position" a couple days ago, and said he "might be just a tad too far out front", and that if, "everything was pushed to the left a little bit, he'd be in just about the "perfect" contact position as there could be".

But maybe that's just "perfect" for him, and he likes to have contact just slightly more out in front than some other hitters....and why I used "perfect" in quotation marks originally when using the word, because what's "perfect" for one hitter and/or observer, might not be the same "perfect" for another.

Looks like Correa likes contact just a tad further out than say Pujols or some other hitter(s). Thanks for the pics. (y)
Maybe because he's a 6'4" MLB shortsop with long arms?

Apr 11, 2015
OK, but do bats flex?
I'm sure they do, but probably not to the extent that we sometimes see them in stills. So I thinks it has some to do with bat flex, and some to do with the cell phone cameras many use for filming.

Guess we'd only know if a super high speed shutter camera was used for comparison as was done in the linked video of the airplane prop.

But just a guess, I'm not a photographer, and only found the rolling shutter thing when I was curious a few years myself, and investigated. I too would be interested if someone else found out something different.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl