barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Ever turn a torque wrench? Nothing really happens if you don't apply force...use your muscles. I'll have to try the loose hands, pulse, loose hands this weekend and see if getting those lug nuts off the car is any easier. :sneaky:

I believe his premise is that the forearms shouldn't be used to power the initial launch of the swing and the pulsing action is to create structure to allow connection through the different body segments. My hands are basically hooks when using wrenches that just provide a connection to what I am attempting to pull or push and not necessarily producing the force.

Jul 29, 2013
I'm not sure about the re-loosening thing. After Launch I think the forces are so great that it doesn't matter what the hands/wrists do. They are merely connectors/hinges.
"the hands hold on to the damned bat"....not my words but I like them.
"...for dear life." ....my words added.

Jul 29, 2013
Early bat speed... When developing an acceleration curve there will be more acceleration at the beginning than later on. Check the difference in speed from the starting point to where the barrel is when it is parallel with the ground. Then compare that to speed at contact.

Bonesaw - sorry to hijack but your still did a great job of explaining what I have been saying a long time. I really appreciate guys like you and Shawn putting your swings out there. I'm experimenting with some things as well.
Good point. Now look at the direction of the force. It's no longer at 90° to the handle. He's releasing the barrel and not applying torque.
@Bonesaw hold the angle, direction of force at 90° until contact. Keep turning your body through contact. That back hip needs to get to the ball while the back arm is still in the "L" shape. You want to be pulling the bottom hand rearward into contact. Front shoulder moves backward.
Screenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-59.pngScreenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-45.pngScreenshot_2015-01-15-22-12-29.png
You're leaving something in the tank.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Good point. Now look at the direction of the force. It's no longer at 90° to the handle. He's releasing the barrel and not applying torque.
@Bonesaw hold the angle, direction of force at 90° until contact. Keep turning your body through contact. That back hip needs to get to the ball while the back arm is still in the "L" shape. You want to be pulling the bottom hand rearward into contact. Front shoulder moves backward.
View attachment 17626View attachment 17627View attachment 17628
You're leaving something in the tank.

Ya its not wrapping long enough(for me)! Probly take a few more this afternoon. I'll try the bonds(no crossing line) move.

Blast has this video of correia from a commercial. I've seen his hand speed somehwere and he definitley gets more bat speed from his hand speed(the ratio) than I do.

I think driveline maybe has a bunch of blast data posted from alot of their players. They have a few articles incorporating blast data that are worth looking at. This is one, there are more good ones.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Sadaharu OH would do a dry swing drill while shagging balls in the OF where he would get in a flamingo stance stride closed and swing down and across his body. He believed the three main faults of all hitters was that they opened up, dropped the barrel and weren’t on time/balanced. He says that drill made him who he was.

1589465575272.gif

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Does it work?
First tried it after watching tennis players explode ?.

Did not notice a visible difference in results but the swing became smoother.

So started using it to observe what the swing really looks like when the mechanics are not dominating the mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaGranya