barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Good point. Now look at the direction of the force. It's no longer at 90° to the handle. He's releasing the barrel and not applying torque.
@Bonesaw hold the angle, direction of force at 90° until contact. Keep turning your body through contact. That back hip needs to get to the ball while the back arm is still in the "L" shape. You want to be pulling the bottom hand rearward into contact. Front shoulder moves backward.
View attachment 17626View attachment 17627View attachment 17628
You're leaving something in the tank.
So, i may not be saying this correctly, but are you stating that with all your force and vectors, that the swing is like a rigid lever? if you want to make contact with an 'L' in the rear elbow, and the 90 degree angle is still there from forearm to barrel, is there nothing the wrists do?

Also you mention keep swinging thru. I see this hitter in the photos hips and shoulders spinning alot farther that what i would expect. Maybe it was an inside pitch?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Ya its not wrapping long enough(for me)! Probly take a few more this afternoon. I'll try the bonds(no crossing line) move.

Blast has this video of correia from a commercial. I've seen his hand speed somehwere and he definitley gets more bat speed from his hand speed(the ratio) than I do.

I think driveline maybe has a bunch of blast data posted from alot of their players. They have a few articles incorporating blast data that are worth looking at. This is one, there are more good ones.

Correa seems to get more speed from the extension and whip of the barrel, not a locked bent rear arm.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A member at a different site claims that the hands are/should be loose while reading the pitch. At swing launch the hands/forearms will tighten up, then loosen up and tighten back up going into contact.... he refers to this as “PULSE” it is basically very rapid contractions & the release of muscles in a particular body segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can and should you teach the pulse?

Feb 25, 2020
Correa seems to get more speed from the extension and whip of the barrel, not a locked bent rear arm.

He has some prodigious extension.

I think usually in a game the ball ends up travelling more (gets hit not SO far out in front). So usually there is more bend left in the rear arm.

The driveline article mentions that the higher the level of play the deeper in the zone it is struck on average.

Here's correa blast vid vs game. Also pitch location matters obviously.
Screenshot_20200514-120641.pngScreenshot_20200514-120505.png

Apr 11, 2015
He has some prodigious extension.
Apparently so. I used the bottom pic you showed as an example of "perfect contact position" a couple days ago, and said he "might be just a tad too far out front", and that if, "everything was pushed to the left a little bit, he'd be in just about the "perfect" contact position as there could be".

But maybe that's just "perfect" for him, and he likes to have contact just slightly more out in front than some other hitters....and why I used "perfect" in quotation marks originally when using the word, because what's "perfect" for one hitter and/or observer, might not be the same "perfect" for another.

Looks like Correa likes contact just a tad further out than say Pujols or some other hitter(s). Thanks for the pics. (y)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl