barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Sounds like more down at first instead of forward?

And I agree bat wrap is a hallmark of power.
I think some confuse it with lag.
It is down at first, how you gonna get to the ball path otherwise. But down to the ball path, not to the ball.
Bat wrap....Some confuse it with a longer time to the ball. It's a longer path but the leverage is greater so the acceleration is greater and the time is shorter.
Imagine trying to accelerate the bat starting from a position with the bat extended over the plate. Short path but SLOOOOOWWWWW BAT due to lack of leverage.

Jul 29, 2013
Does everyone know what and why Bonds is making this action? It’s in reference to fastpitch.
This is where he showed Jennie Finch that he was gonna use his top hand to drop the barrel on her rise ball. He looked at some pitches but didn't take a full swing.

Feb 25, 2020
Does everyone know what and why Bonds is making this action? It’s in reference to fastpitch.

No Im very interested though. He does it in the batters box during his showdown with Gagne.

Does it at about 54 secs

Like 52 seconds

Feb 25, 2020
It is down at first, how you gonna get to the ball path otherwise. But down to the ball path, not to the ball.
Bat wrap....Some confuse it with a longer time to the ball. It's a longer path but the leverage is greater so the acceleration is greater and the time is shorter.
Imagine trying to accelerate the bat starting from a position with the bat extended over the plate. Short path but SLOOOOOWWWWW BAT due to lack of leverage.

Yes I agree 100%. I appreciate your application of force posts.(perpendicular) I took some swings today and gained like 3 mph (on average) with much more realistic effort.(not swinging out of my shoes). And i liked the video much better.

Hard part at this point is teaching someone else I think.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This is where he showed Jennie Finch that he was gonna use his top hand to drop the barrel on her rise ball. He looked at some pitches but didn't take a full swing.

Yes, 100% correct. I have the segment on DVD. He faces Jennie although he never swings, just sticks his bat out a few times to make contact. When she throws him a curve he said, That’s a slider!

I have Pujols trying to hit a fastpitch pitcher and his swing breaks down.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
No, you have it correct. The hands happen to be where the feel of the torque is sensed the most. I think of "handsy" as being floppy, loose hands that don't transfer the torque of the arm movements efficiently.
I have a problem with the idea that the bat should be held loosely. I much prefer a death grip and the oar lock approach. I know I'll spend hours explaning it to all the knuckleheads here, but I see it as a power movement and loose hands allow too much slack.
The barrel dump is loosing the grip required to apply the torque.
The chopping down movement that Bonds promotes is the death grip that I'm talking about. The other fix is to use your legs and shoulders more.
.View attachment 17594

A member at a different site claims that the hands are/should be loose while reading the pitch. At swing launch the hands/forearms will tighten up, then loosen up and tighten back up going into contact.... he refers to this as “PULSE” it is basically very rapid contractions & the release of muscles in a particular body segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TDS
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It's getting close to where the rubber meets the road. We have kids counting on us.

This gent is trying to sell his program, but Yelich has been an example many times here so.....

- How Christian Yelich - "Changed His TIMING"... and others on youtube

Only 595.00 for the entire program.