barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
I know Pattar wasn't convinced on this data, not enough data points or too small sample size. I forget.

in any case, i was looking at it as a MLBr with a HL swing. His hand speed gets is faster than the barrel speed thru the first phase getting on plane. That to me shows that the barrel is 'lagging'. then the hands slow and the barrel is whipped. I don' really know or care i guess if it is called inertia, but when you say the handle is lighter, it is but the barrel is still connected to it.

I agree the leverage and torque that keep the barrel from wrapping and creates the TTB effect. But there is a definite greater acceleration through the release phase. I just don't think there is the torque around a circular path and that's all. Torso tilt torque on plane down to release barrel to whip.
The only way to create the circular path is through torque. Otherwise it is linear movement.
How's this....apply force to the handle causing the bat to rotate(torque). Move rotationally (more torque but on you so your body turns) so that that barrel is directed to the ball without lag or delay and you'll accelerate the barrel to a faster contact speed.
Yes, torso tilt on plane.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If my DD hits alot of strong liner outfield fades, is there a normal reason why? assuming not deep enough swing and hitting ball before ideal contact position. This is probably to my question yesterday and not getting into backside enough. thanks.

Oppo fades correct ?

Jul 29, 2013
If my DD hits alot of strong liner outfield fades, is there a normal reason why? assuming not deep enough swing and hitting ball before ideal contact position. This is probably to my question yesterday and not getting into backside enough. thanks.
Fade? Does the ball float and die? Oppo flair? Too much backspin because she's cutting the ball by swinging down to it rather than being on plane and swinging through it. Typical on a swing that happens too much out front so OPPO swings are too steep.
Fade? Draw or slice? She's around it or too much inside out.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
For all pitch locations?

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The only way to create the circular path is through torque. Otherwise it is linear movement.
How's this....apply force to the handle causing the bat to rotate(torque). Move rotationally (more torque but on you so your body turns) so that that barrel is directed to the ball without lag or delay and you'll accelerate the barrel to a faster contact speed.
Yes, torso tilt on plane.
My bad, i should have said that i dont think that is ALL there is. I agree with torque around the circular path. i just think it is a hybrid. Just showing the Ortiz data to show that as the hands torque it isn't all rotational. It must be some linear otherwise the barrel speed would always be greater than the hand speed proportional to the hand if constant acceleration. Or if up to max speed immediately, should always be the same max speed throughout. the Ortiz data does not show that. So some linear must be in there.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Fade? Does the ball float and die? Oppo flair? Too much backspin because she's cutting the ball by swinging down to it rather than being on plane and swinging through it. Typical on a swing that happens too much out front so OPPO swings are too steep.
Fade? Draw or slice? She's around it or too much inside out.
Yeah, slice. RH hitter, fades to right center starting at center.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yep, all the theorizing is fun but seeing if it works is more fun.
@julray this is why tell you to try it.
Become aware of a theory and then swing the bat with that idea in mind and see where it gets you.
After all, there are a number of ways to swing and they can all be perfected but what outcome are you seeking?
@Work=wins Whether you want to hit ground balls or bombs could influence what path you choose.

For me, the goal is line drives the most efficient/shortest way possible ‘down to level through’. ground balls are a result of bad path. The problem is most folks wanna fix the path by manipulating the path. When it’s usually a sequence, movement or postural issue that is causing the down path that leads to ground balls.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight