barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She could be pulling off the ball period... hard right hand turn instead of staying through the ball. It all depends where the ball is pitched, if inside, then yes she could be slicing it inside out.

reminds me of the latest poster with his dd that is going to college. She loads the pelvis late, sequence gets rushed, can’t get the barrel leveraged in time so she must push which makes her steep therefore she must hit the ball a bit more out front.

Apr 11, 2015
The transition from PPT to NPT is the directed relaxation of the lead oblique contraction. When Acuna's lead side starts to lengthen the relaxation of the lead side obliques has already occurred. His butt is getting loaded at the same time.

jAieus.gif
Relaxation of a contracted muscle does not cause movement (think of an isometric exercise - contraction and relaxation of a muscle...no movement). Contraction of a muscle causes movement.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Currently my DD is doing this too. Very Dominate with the shoulder rotation. I agree with the antidote to get her to move from using the shoulders as the main power source into the rear hip and leg as the main power source
So since My DD does this too, I am very interested. If a good swing has a smaller hand radius, is there really only one exact contact point for the ball to hit the the bats arc perfectly or should the hands be allowed to be thrown off the tilt a whirl and slightly flatten/straighten the arc both horizontally and vertically?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Chop chop occurs after TTB. Down to first. Take knob down and straight to the pitcher by pulling like you are in a tug of war. Have somebody stand behind you and hold the knob of the bat. You gotta get that knob forward to bat lag as fast as possible. If you use your arms and shoulders you will be weak. You must pull there to position with your core. Once you are there, chop chop.

I would try this first. Get in a good posture bat lag position and hold there. Then chop and see what happens.

View attachment 17585

I’ll try it, thanks for the clarification.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
My DD had this issue last year. On video taken from behind, I could see the barrel getting pulled laterally across the ball through contact. Part of the issue was her being too dominant with shoulder rotation as her power source, and the barrel was not rotating enough to get properly aligned with her lead forearm at contact. Her work with learning how to TTB more aggressively from go, and moving her power source into her rear hip helped her get the barrel squared up a lot better. Subsequently, her quickness and power both improved.
Excellent, thanks for the reply. If the rear hip is the power source, what should the feel be? Is it a glute/hammy extension? Aimed at the target? I only recently started to try and feel this extension after @Bonesaw had talked about it. I know that i have focused more on torso upper body power. So would be nice to give her another cue.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Good to know on your part, but I don't believe some of the other "jockeys" here are of the same mindset or verbiage use.
Just as a follow up, the way Pujols described it is alot of times what parents and kids see and gets them started in the wrong direction. Posture/sequence should really be first. Just like in pitching, get your body to the correct positions then and only then worry about results. Otherwise you are trying to diagnose the impossible.

May 12, 2016
I wouldn't be so dismissive about the AP, AROD. Trout, Yelich demos etc. There is a reason they demo this. TBH, it confused me the first time I looked at it. Didn't make sense to me. However it never ever really mislead me.. I mean yeah if I looked at it and didn't understand it was an isolated movement which should considered as part of the entire swing and asked my kid to stand in the box flat footed and just make that movement.. sure my kid would be in big trouble. I could say the same thing for TTB, standing there flat footed and dumping the barrel would result in issues as well. Before all you TTB people get on me, I understand that TTB does not lead to dumping the barrel if understood and performed correctly, just making a point about seeing and understanding things in isolation.

Bugs me how some people on here with so much knowledge who deliberately misinterpret what the pros are advising in these demos... I assume it's an agenda thing or maybe it goes against what they currently instruct. Standing still with no leverage, 0 momentum, no posture etc and moving hands down of course has no effect on the barrel or what path the barrel actually takes in a game. The hands are doing the same thing in a game swing.. the force applied by the bigger muscles because of good sequence acts on the barrel... The proper posture allows the barrel to continue a long a good path. The pros rely on the body and bigger muscles to get the barrel on path... not just the hands/forearms etc

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
True, but isn't there a corresponding contraction that move bones?
Yes, and as a reminder, "Muscles pull, they don't push", and corresponding that with the "Stretch/Shortening Cycle" (SSC).

One side/set of obliques are slowly contracted/shortened in order to stretch the opposite side/set that will then be contracted/shortened to assist in making the movement of rapidly launching/PPTing the hips...as part of launching/swinging the bat at the ball.

This is why you'll hear about hitters injuring one side/set of their obliques, and not the other...the rapid contraction side, and not the slow contraction side. If hitters just "relaxed" the front side contracted obliques in hopes that it would somehow "snap" back the stretched rear side obliques w/o ever having to suddenly contract said stretched side obliques...they'd never have an oblique injury that takes them out of the game for some time while they heal that we know happens on occasion.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight