barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I know this is the technical forum, and I don't mean to take this off course, but I think this is a 'technical' teach as well: at some point once you've set some mechanical basics, and have the ability to reinforce and adjust those basics via language and cues you and the hitter understand, you can make a LOT of progress teaching *results* -- off the tee, soft-toss, in-out-up-down toss, mixed-in normal and change-up toss, close machine, machine with too much speed, game swing, etc. etc. The ball should be hit with a specific result in all of those scenarios and back-chaining mechanics adjustments can start from THERE, from the result, to find faults and make fixes -- often with much less frustration and more enjoyment for the hitter. I think this is a critical instructor skill as well, versus solely by-sight and by-feel. This is how most MLBers ultimately gain and *own* their swings, no? I think sometimes we don't talk about this process enough...

Nov 16, 2017
I’ll try it, however I don’t see chop, chop in Trout’s swing. I see the same swing I posted of Sosa. Trout is TTB.

Chop chop occurs after TTB. Down to first. Take knob down and straight to the pitcher by pulling like you are in a tug of war. Have somebody stand behind you and hold the knob of the bat. You gotta get that knob forward to bat lag as fast as possible. If you use your arms and shoulders you will be weak. You must pull there to position with your core. Once you are there, chop chop.

I would try this first. Get in a good posture bat lag position and hold there. Then chop and see what happens.

1589375102544.png

Reactions: TDS
May 3, 2014
I know this is the technical forum, and I don't mean to take this off course, but I think this is a 'technical' teach as well: at some point once you've set some mechanical basics, and have the ability to reinforce and adjust those basics via language and cues you and the hitter understand, you can make a LOT of progress teaching *results* -- off the tee, soft-toss, in-out-up-down toss, mixed-in normal and change-up toss, close machine, machine with too much speed, game swing, etc. etc. The ball should be hit with a specific result in all of those scenarios and back-chaining mechanics adjustments can start from THERE, from the result, to find faults and make fixes -- often with much less frustration and more enjoyment for the hitter. I think this is a critical instructor skill as well, versus solely by-sight and by-feel. This is how most MLBers ultimately gain and *own* their swings, no? I think sometimes we don't talk about this process enough...
Good points. Coaching a team allows me to focus on this process more than mechanics. Results matter.

Jul 29, 2013

Kind of proves my point, lag doesn't accelerate the barrel.
The hand speed is high and the bat speed is not. The barrel really accelerates rotationally as the hands slow down linearly. I guess that's lag and the snap you're referring to (but I'd say the snap is the barrel rotation)
Then there's inertia. The handle is lighter than the barrel so it is easier to accelerate. Ultimately, the leverage/torque accelerate the barrel to a much higher speed than can be attained by moving the bat linearly.

I can't answer the question as to whether the lag/drag linear bat movement is necessary to create momentum to then transfer rotationally. Could be. Momentum is energy and can be transferred. I haven't thought about it that way.

But I don't see the pros moving the bat parallel to its axis (lag), so the lag you see in the numbers is probably due to inertia and not an actual movement in a pro swing.

Jul 29, 2013
Yep, all the theorizing is fun but seeing if it works is more fun.
@julray this is why tell you to try it.
Become aware of a theory and then swing the bat with that idea in mind and see where it gets you.
After all, there are a number of ways to swing and they can all be perfected but what outcome are you seeking?
@Work=wins Whether you want to hit ground balls or bombs could influence what path you choose.

Jul 29, 2013
Chop chop occurs after TTB. Down to first. Take knob down and straight to the pitcher by pulling like you are in a tug of war. Have somebody stand behind you and hold the knob of the bat. You gotta get that knob forward to bat lag as fast as possible. If you use your arms and shoulders you will be weak. You must pull there to position with your core. Once you are there, chop chop.

I would try this first. Get in a good posture bat lag position and hold there. Then chop and see what happens.

View attachment 17585
A still doesn't show whether this is lag or a position of rotation being passed through. We need to see frame by frame or the video to tell if the bat is being moved parallel to its length (lag) or rotationally around an axis.
Then we need to know if the swing is real or a demo. We've all seen that demo swings can be nothing like the real ones.

Nov 16, 2017
A still doesn't show whether this is lag or a position of rotation being passed through. We need to see frame by frame or the video to tell if the bat is being moved parallel to its length (lag) or rotationally around an axis.
Then we need to know if the swing is real or a demo. We've all seen that demo swings can be nothing like the real ones.

Wasn't really my point in showing that. I was trying to give Shawn an example of how to position himself before he tried a chopping attack.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Kind of proves my point, lag doesn't accelerate the barrel.
The hand speed is high and the bat speed is not. The barrel really accelerates rotationally as the hands slow down linearly. I guess that's lag and the snap you're referring to (but I'd say the snap is the barrel rotation)
Then there's inertia. The handle is lighter than the barrel so it is easier to accelerate. Ultimately, the leverage/torque accelerate the barrel to a much higher speed than can be attained by moving the bat linearly.

I can't answer the question as to whether the lag/drag linear bat movement is necessary to create momentum to then transfer rotationally. Could be. Momentum is energy and can be transferred. I haven't thought about it that way.

But I don't see the pros moving the bat parallel to its axis (lag), so the lag you see in the numbers is probably due to inertia and not an actual movement in a pro swing.
I know Pattar wasn't convinced on this data, not enough data points or too small sample size. I forget.

in any case, i was looking at it as a MLBr with a HL swing. His hand speed gets is faster than the barrel speed thru the first phase getting on plane. That to me shows that the barrel is 'lagging'. then the hands slow and the barrel is whipped. I don' really know or care i guess if it is called inertia, but when you say the handle is lighter, it is but the barrel is still connected to it.

I agree the leverage and torque that keep the barrel from wrapping and creates the TTB effect. But there is a definite greater acceleration through the release phase. I just don't think there is the torque around a circular path and that's all. Torso tilt torque on plane down to release barrel to whip.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Good points. Coaching a team allows me to focus on this process more than mechanics. Results matter.
If my DD hits alot of strong liner outfield fades, is there a normal reason why? assuming not deep enough swing and hitting ball before ideal contact position. This is probably to my question yesterday and not getting into backside enough. thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight