barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ummm, i hadn't thought of that. I guess just doing Tee work at this point, and soft toss.
Here is an interesting method for hitting soft toss using different pitches. May allow you to work more with the result.

- Softball Hitting Drills & Must Know Batting Tips

Jul 29, 2013
For me, the goal is line drives the most efficient/shortest way possible ‘down to level through’. ground balls are a result of bad path. The problem is most folks wanna fix the path by manipulating the path. When it’s usually a sequence, movement or postural issue that is causing the down path that leads to ground balls.
Make a choice, goal or path. Can't choose a destination and decide your own route. All paths don't lead to Rome.
Down path to ground balls? What about an up path that swings over the top? Or a roll over?
Just messing wit u.

May 12, 2016
She may be pulling the bat linearly off of the ball rather than swinging the barrel into it. Too much inside out /lag.
She could be pulling off the ball period... hard right hand turn instead of staying through the ball. It all depends where the ball is pitched, if inside, then yes she could be slicing it inside out.

May 12, 2016
@Bobby Shirer

Missed this post along the way somewhere...

Bobby Shirer said:
Yep, all the theorizing is fun but seeing if it works is more fun.
@julray this is why tell you to try it.
Become aware of a theory and then swing the bat with that idea in mind and see where it gets you.
After all, there are a number of ways to swing and they can all be perfected but what outcome are you seeking?

If you been following along I have said multiple occasions that I have tried it, my DD even had some success with it. I use to be a TTB person(not hardcore like you :)). I no longer am, I looked for greater understanding in what the pros were saying. It all clicked after I understood the proper body movements that pair with the down to motion. If I had my time back with my DD, I would start with proper sequence, the importance of posture and maintaining. I believe this alone will dictate proper barrel path. I also like what James has been talking about regarding down to the lag position.

EDIT:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I know you have been talking a lot about "down to" = linear push type motion. When I get to launch position, my bat splits my head 45% (doesn't have to be the same for everybody), I'm in a strong leveraged position to engage the large muscles of my body. My core pulls, my hands do start down along with the rotation of my shoulders while maintaining good posture. What do you think is happening to the barrel here? Of course it turns/arcs, all these forces acting against it, the shoulders are turning, the barrel turns into lag position. From there hammer/chop/drive the barrel into the ball while maintaining good posture(keeps behind and through the ball for a long time and prevents you from pushing the barrel).. of course all of this is a lot more fluid then how I'm breaking it all down

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yeah, slice. RH hitter, fades to right center starting at center.

My DD had this issue last year. On video taken from behind, I could see the barrel getting pulled laterally across the ball through contact. Part of the issue was her being too dominant with shoulder rotation as her power source, and the barrel was not rotating enough to get properly aligned with her lead forearm at contact. Her work with learning how to TTB more aggressively from go, and moving her power source into her rear hip helped her get the barrel squared up a lot better. Subsequently, her quickness and power both improved.

Oct 2, 2017
My DD had this issue last year. On video taken from behind, I could see the barrel getting pulled laterally across the ball through contact. Part of the issue was her being too dominant with shoulder rotation as her power source, and the barrel was not rotating enough to get properly aligned with her lead forearm at contact. Her work with learning how to TTB more aggressively from go, and moving her power source into her rear hip helped her get the barrel squared up a lot better. Subsequently, her quickness and power both improved.

Currently my DD is doing this too. Very Dominate with the shoulder rotation. I agree with the antidote to get her to move from using the shoulders as the main power source into the rear hip and leg as the main power source

Apr 11, 2015
if hitters during their game swing are transitioning from PPT to APT NPT then chopping will feel like what they do. The difference is that they transition back to PPT to create power and the barrel gets turned back up.

Some guys drop more than others so you can see it better.

The move from PPT to APT NPT is what I think TDS is talking about when he says you get into both legs. The move back to PPT is the power move and maybe not something that really needs attention IMO. That's just part of the finish somewhat like bat extension after contact.

EDIT - I will modify a bit here and say that just transitioning out of PPT to neutral NPT is probably more than enough for many and it's not needed to go into APT. Then neutral to PPT is the power move. I am not advising to purposely create APT. I changed APT to NPT in the above post.
Can you point out when these hitters go from PPT to NPT back to PPT for me please....
BdjoCZ6.gif
0CAu13N.gif
eW16owR.gif
JJpIdgR.gif
4KGqpw4.gif
VUGGffB.gif

gzIr7KX.gif

Thank you.

PS. Sorry for all of the old rerun clips, I haven't updated my gif files in a long time. =(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight