barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
Optimal fyb leverage.

qGt9sYo.gif

9KfBJzE.gif

yDtJ96e.gif

XHSjeFP.gif

VyPOGHT.gif

1YLlScJ.gif
Looks to me like they're all getting into the front leg.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
TT = Toe Touch.

Yes trying not to get too dark but how else can you explain it? PPT stance - contract lead side obliques - relax them to go into PPT to TT and swing.

Okay. I will play around with it. Never really tried to think about APT or PPT, so it will take me a bit to figure out those movements compared to what I'm used to.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Looks to me like they're all getting into the front leg.

In my opinion the pressure under the front foot builds after the barrel starts on its path. Yes, the barrels are still high at that point in time, but each hitter is already within swing launch. When the front foot is in the air, I would consider it 100% back and 0% front. At contact it will be closer to 0%/100?. At the point of launch it is probably 60%/40% or 70%/30% based on the hitter, timing, etc. Some of these hitters are a little further along than others...

May 3, 2014
Okay. I will play around with it. Never really tried to think about APT or PPT, so it will take me a bit to figure out those movements compared to what I'm used to.
Don't overcook it. I would say start in PPT (tip top of pelvis forward). You should feel the coil in the rear hip better just doing this. Let it flow from there.

Jul 29, 2013
To me this is incorrect and maybe the point of confusion. I dont think pros use a chop chop motion to start. I think they hold tight and not allow the bat to get left behind causing the 'Turn' in ttb, and then when on plane direct the barrel to chop chop at the ball. No chop chop to start.
That would mean that they are actually hitting down to or on the ball. I'm interpreting Bonds as starting his swing by swinging the barrel hard down and then planing. But I can see where they could get behind a rotated barrel and then chop chop.
Here's a slow pitch guy promoting what he calls "oversnap," or a tomahawk hand movement into contact.

Jul 29, 2013
In my opinion the pressure under the front foot builds after the barrel starts on its path. Yes, the barrels are still high at that point in time, but each hitter is already within swing launch. When the front foot is in the air, I would consider it 100% back and 0% front. At contact it will be closer to 0%/100?. At the point of launch it is probably 60%/40% or 70%/30% based on the hitter, timing, etc. Some of these hitters are a little further along than others...
I think Yelich was saying he thought that approach was on time, but he was really late.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
That would mean that they are actually hitting down to or on the ball. I'm interpreting Bonds as starting his swing by swinging the barrel hard down and then planing. But I can see where they could get behind a rotated barrel and then chop chop.
Here's a slow pitch guy promoting what he calls "oversnap," or a tomahawk hand movement into contact.

DUH!!! It takes them 11 minutes to teach what comes naturally?

Jul 29, 2013
I'm not asking you teach me, I was just simply asking what was missing from the swing. I don't need to look at videos what the pros are doing in regard to sequence and body positioning.. I've been saying that all along. I was asking for your point of view :). It's ok, you don't have to answer, just wondering if you had any thoughts on it besides TTB, do whatever it takes, and figuring out how to get from one position to the next. If I was one of your students and asked you about what position I should be in before launch and how my body should be positioned through the swing in relation to pitch location.. what would you say to me? You are an instructor correct?
I know, you're just looking for validation and hope I'll parrot your beliefs.
So how's this?
This position looks good to me.
Screenshot_2020-05-12-18-36-00.png

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

i subscribe to the fact that there is release and extension and whip of the barrel. But if you watch these softball guys, it is so rotational and a lot of casting, IMO. Get as much of that speed as possible because that lobbed in ball isn't doing any tricks.

So to your comment on hitting down, i don't feel the 'hitting down' until the hands are released from the torso. To me there is a rigid perpendicular angle of the barrel to the hand that is kept thru torso turn and tilt getting on plane. Rocking the 'U'. I don't see a pronation then supination of top wrist. if you watch the angle of the barrel to forearm, i see it staying at 90 degrees. ish. That angle is held until after the torso turns gets the barrel on plane with whatever supination is needed to get the rest of the way, then the 'loose and oily' wrists are let go to whip the barrel to contact.

This is why i have asked questions about ideal contact position, as i believe it is better a little farther out from body with the whip and not a locked rear elbow still at 90 degrees. I think Mud had some good thoughts on that contact position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight