barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Agreed, because he's saying that you don't want the upper body to lead by falling forward from the top (like a Domino).

Here's another revolutionary new concept...

....that I've been teaching since 2003 (replace "pedestal" with "4x4"). ?

I didn't domino in a literal sense. Just meant it as get step one right. Leads to step 2

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Julray,

It’s all somewhat stupid discussing hand/barrel path without also discussing pitch location. I will post a swing tonight of Bregman hitting an inside pitch for a HR and we can compare it to Altuve hitting an outside pitch for a HR, the swing in the first post.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I feel very diagonal before I stride. My lead side is crunched (shoulder down and in) but I am grounded through the rear leg. When I stride I still want to feel over the plate but also feel my rear getting heavy. If I do this I cannot feel where I am at TT. But, video shows me a pretty good FyB position.
Thanks Butter, i went back to your video and it doesn't look like you start diagonal, but you do stride diagonal. Unless you mean diagonal over the plate? Lead side crunch and shoulder down and in.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Julray,

It’s all somewhat stupid discussing hand/barrel path without also discussing pitch location. I will post a swing tonight of Bregman hitting an inside pitch for a HR and we can compare it to Altuve hitting an outside pitch for a HR, the swing in the first post.
Shawn, i know this wasn't for me, but if we look at the Miggy x 6 gifs, we see him starting pretty much all the same and launching into the pitch from relatively the same position and then releasing to the location. I think the degree of tilt and turn is the only difference, but the action in and of itself is the same. Just on a different plane for low to high, and a longer time to release for inside vs outside.

May 3, 2014
What part of the lead side is being aimed and how do you aim it?
Yea I should of not used that cue. I just meant that when I release the obliques I want do direct it into my butt. It's not meant to be literal.

One of the early issues trying to describe this stuff was that people would try it and release it and it went nowhere. There needs to be a blueprint of what you are trying to accomplish.

Another thing that needs to be in place is a pelvis that is in PPT to start. Once you release/relax (got to find an easier word) the lead obliques the pelvis needs to go into APT. This is the heavy rear part. You gotta train this. It just doesn't happen magically. Once you are in APT you head into TT and can then use the ground on the lead side to help you quickly transition back into PPT. This allows powerful rotation.

All in all I think an entry into this is just getting into a good stance - in PPT on a weighted rear leg and then contract the lead obliques. This will get you down and in (diagonal). Release this to start a small stride but make sure your pelvis transitions to APT as this happens and you will lower going into TT.

May 12, 2016
Julray,

It's not necessary Shawn. The ball is on the tee, what's missing from that swing? Why are we talking about Bregman and Altuve? In the swing we are talking about what is missing?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yea I should of not used that cue. I just meant that when I release the obliques I want do direct it into my butt. It's not meant to be literal.

One of the early issues trying to describe this stuff was that people would try it and release it and it went nowhere. There needs to be a blueprint of what you are trying to accomplish.

Another thing that needs to be in place is a pelvis that is in PPT to start. Once you release/relax (got to find an easier word) the lead obliques the pelvis needs to go into APT. This is the heavy rear part. You gotta train this. It just doesn't happen magically. Once you are in APT you head into TT and can then use the ground on the lead side to help you quickly transition back into PPT. This allows powerful rotation.

All in all I think an entry into this is just getting into a good stance - in PPT on a weighted rear leg and then contract the lead obliques. This will get you down and in (diagonal). Release this to start a small stride but make sure your pelvis transitions to APT as this happens and you will lower going into TT.

Bit in the weeds for my taste but I will play around with it. I understand what you mean by APT and PPT. By TT are you referring to Thoracic?

May 3, 2014
Bit in the weeds for my taste but I will play around with it. I understand what you mean by APT and PPT. By TT are you referring to Thoracic?
TT = Toe Touch.

Yes trying not to get too dark but how else can you explain it? PPT stance - contract lead side obliques - relax them to go into PPT to TT and swing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight