barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Yesterday @fanboi22 asked me my definition of "the 'perfect' contact position", and maybe equally important if not even more so, should be all of our definitions or determining factors of the "perfect" FYB, PoP, leveraged position. I'll go first since I'm the one asking...

Using JD again, but this time from julray's post....
screen-shot-2020-05-12-at-9-57-37-am-png.17574

...I stopped the clip at the frame where his top arm was at it's highest point, and where the next frame was him just starting to lower the rear elbow, and apply pressure to the handle with the top hand ("twisting the throttle", as some call it).

So again, another great example of how he's again nowhere near the position he thinks or feels he's in when getting to his "separation" or "FYB" leveraged position (of power).
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.18.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.57.37 AM.png
I think the biggest difference to me, is the obvious pressure distribution in his feet from one clip to the other.

How do the rest of you determine a hitter's "FYB", "leveraged position", "Pop" or whatever else you'd like to call it?

Sep 17, 2009
FYB Isolation.. Donaldson gets "more" into is front foot here because that's the end of the drill.. nothing happens after, he just catches himself and sinks into the ground.. of course if it's the complete process this is going to look different and less exaggerated. In no way is this a good example of what pros think they're doing vs what they're actually doing. It's called isolation, working on one phase of the swing, looks much different in the complete process. If thinking big picture (entire picture) people need to piece it all together, otherwise just look at it for what it truly is.. isolation

Agreed. Not saying YOU Julray are advocating this, but in general this is the problem with basing swing 'theories' on videos of 50-50 pause-at-load demos (or using a game-swing against a change-up as your model). Hitters don't get fully front foot weighted down/50-50 before launch except in such demos and only then because they aren't swinging in a zero-gravity chamber and have to land the front foot lol....

May 12, 2016
Agreed. Not saying YOU Julray are advocating this, but in general this is the problem with basing swing 'theories' on videos of 50-50 pause-at-load demos (or using a game-swing against a change-up as your model). Hitters don't get fully front foot weighted down/50-50 before launch except in such demos and only then because they aren't swinging in a zero-gravity chamber and have to land the front foot lol....
Oh I believe in 50/50 or something close to that.. I don't believe in getting to 50/50 and then continuing to sink into the ground like he does in this drill. Anyway my point is, isolation movements look much different in the overall swing.. this drill is not an exception, goes for most of them.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If one is looking to be fully leveraged fyb this is the best example...

k4xI3PF.gif

Hamilton seeking leverage.

RW5PHnv.gif

Would be interested to know how much leverage Donaldson has here.. Looks in this image that his rear leg is in control.. Reminds me of Yelich when he was talking about folks leaking.. IOW's can't turn on it when he needs to.

cFnROQQ.gif

Reminds me of AJ.

WJJbQns.gif

Apr 11, 2015
Can you define what you're looking at or for TDS when determining good from bad? IOWs, what in your words makes Miggy's good, and AJ's bad (which I agree with btw, and will share my reasoning after hearing your thoughts on them).

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Can you define what you're looking at or for TDS when determining good from bad? IOWs, what in your words makes Miggy's good, and AJ's bad (which I agree with btw, and will share my reasoning after hearing your thoughts on them).

Sure for the billionth time :)

Best position to control/whip the barrel using all available resources, and not depending on the rear leg to drive it..

J1c5pt0.png

I3lbNro.gif

Apr 11, 2015
C'mon TDS, that's not an objective answer you can give to one of your students.

What in your words is the "best" position...what makes Miggy's better than AJ's? And no, I don't need anymore clips of HL hitters doing something, and you saying..."this".

Is this a good "leveraged position" to hit from?
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.18.48 AM.png
Yes or no, and why?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Not a huge fan of still pictures because there is a lot that could be different before and after that particular picture. But just based on this hitter's positioning and weight distribution, I would classify this hitter as rear legged. Just sayin...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Would be interested to know how much leverage Donaldson has here.. Looks in this image that his rear leg is in control.. Reminds me of Yelich when he was talking about folks leaking.. IOW's can't turn on it when he needs to.

cFnROQQ.gif

Reminds me of AJ.

WJJbQns.gif

FWIW, I prefer the Donaldson swing over the Judge swing. I do not think they are the same at all. Carry on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805