barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Being "quick" and "explosive" is much different than "max force" and "muscling up". But that doesn't mean that one is not giving "max effort" in being "quick and explosive". "Max effort" is not mutually exclusive with "effortless power".

Jun 8, 2016
Being "quick" and "explosive" is much different than "max force" and "muscling up". But that doesn't mean that one is not giving "max effort" in being "quick and explosive". "Max effort" is not mutually exclusive with "effortless power".
Yeah, I was going to say this but then I said the hell with it..not worth it. If they cannot look at that Yelich swing and see an explosive/quick twitch movement I am not going to be able to convince them otherwise. There is a reason hitters typically regress as they get older and it isn't because they forget how to swing a bat...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I guy could be thinking (cue) muscle up but have a very loose grip. Yelich and Mcguire probably have different swing thoughts or cues. Both hit the ball a long way. Hitters are different and have different personalities. Trying to make all hitters the same would be a mistake. Never take a jerky .400 hitter and turn them into a smooth .200 hitter.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Page: 289
Number of people involved in this discussion who have changed their opinion about swing mechanics: 0

I don't know if that's a fair statement unless you're referring to the fab 5 ( :) ) who agree with your opinion while ignoring what Yelich, Bonds, Arod, etc have to say.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Page: 289
Number of people involved in this discussion who have changed their opinion about swing mechanics: 0
Nice to read someone paying attention.

;)
There are plenty of people who blame a bad at bat, or a miss hit,
on pitch selection.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yeah, I was going to say this but then I said the hell with it..not worth it. If they cannot look at that Yelich swing and see an explosive/quick twitch movement I am not going to be able to convince them otherwise. There is a reason hitters typically regress as they get older and it isn't because they forget how to swing a bat...

yeah cuz that what Yelich said he did. He got quick and explosive. Hahaha.

he said he got in a better position to time the pitch and made his barrel path more efficient or direct. The best don’t sit back and wait to be explosive. They time the pitch to be effortless. No pro says I got ‘more explosive’, they say I got shorter or on time.

hitters get worse as they get older because the pitching gets better ! Where is your head today?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

the problem is the verb ‘explosive’ is never used by any good pro. That’s a marketing term.. I’m channeling my inner Blue dog. ?

Jun 8, 2016
hitters get worse as they get older because the pitching gets better ! Where is your head today?
My head is fine thanks..I am talking about pros. It is the same reason a RB can go from an all pro at 30 to somebody who cannot get out of their own way at 31 and the same reason Jordan had to develop a low post game in his 30's...but whatever. You know everything about everything.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My head is fine thanks..I am talking about pros.

I think injuries play a big role there. Not quick twitch. Many HOFers get it done with
My head is fine thanks..I am talking about pros. It is the same reason a RB can go from an all pro at 30 to somebody who cannot get out of their own way at 31 and the same reason Jordan had to develop a back to the basket game in his 30's...

Athleticism and skill are 2 different things. Apples and oranges.

that’s why golfers and MLBers can play into their Forty’s and b-ball and football guys typically don’t.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805