barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
We were specifically talking about the actions of the hands/wrists/forearms. The turning action... Getting palm up quickly... My statement refers to more force being applied into the handle by the hands/wrist/forearms at the time of launch. In no place in that post did I mention anything about the impact of the torso and upper legs, which is where the true power source is. I stated that I agree with JD and I still agree with JD. Nothing I am saying is contrary to that.
You may agree with JD, but he doesn't agree with you :)

May 12, 2016
By the way, I have been doing my best to answer your questions, yet you refuse to answer mine.

What happens to the top hand in his demonstration? Specifically, does it get "palm up"? I never once said anything about supination.
I did answer your question.. JD talks about his Elbows and front side mechanics. How does the hands orientate when the front elbow goes up? Palm up, right? But you want to take the JD demo and focus on the hands because it meets your agenda, JD is talking about the elbows.

And you believe in supinating to get palm up asap.. correct? Let's stop playing games here.. make a statement and stick to it, stop backtracking .. it's a power move, it's not a power move, it's a power move, it's not a power move etc etc.

Jul 29, 2013
Have you tried the Bonds drill that worked for Yelich ? What were your thoughts ?
Not the drill but the action and intent, yes.
I further isolated the hand/arm action into a SnF drill. No torso rotation, strickly chopping down on my right side (bats right).
Then as Yelich said, I gradually brought the motion into a core movement that allowed me to get the barrel to an incoming pitch. That change in posture and tilt (@julray) automatically changed the chopping into TTB.
The feeling in my hands and arms is max application of torque from go.
No delay, no mere alignment of the barrel via TTB.
It caused me to really speed up my torso movement to get the bat to the ball and not swing down.

It is still TTB but as I've coined the term tTB, don't merely turn the barrel,
torque the shirt out of it. (Maybe it should be ttSO ?)

Aggressive TTB gives the same result, creating that sense of urgency to get your body moving quickly and not get left behind. Then if you go with your body first the sequence is better and the legs drive the swing. More power! ugh ugh ugh!

Overall it allows me to wait longer to swing because I max accelerate the bat at go from as far from the ball as possible. More acceleration, means more speed, means more distance covered in shorter time. More distance means more space and I use that space to further tilt the barrel and wrap my shoulders more against my pelvis opening allowing more core torque.
Yes, f'n MAX EFFORT SWINGS via better mechanics and max intent.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I did answer your question.. JD talks about his Elbows and front side mechanics. How does the hands orientate when the front elbow goes up? Palm up, right? But you want to take the JD demo and focus on the hands because it meets your agenda, JD is talking about the elbows.

And you believe in supinating to get palm up asap.. correct? Let's stop playing games here.. make a statement and stick to it, stop backtracking .. it's a power move, it's not a power move, it's a power move, it's not a power move etc etc.

Show me where I talk about supinating. I am interested in getting palm up, just like JD said in the video. I even commented several times that there is more involved to the action than just the hands. In fact, I even talked several times about the impact that the front arm/shoulder/scap has on the process. The only inconsistencies are made by you trying to twist people's words.

May 12, 2016
Show me where I talk about supinating. I am interested in getting palm up, just like JD said in the video. I even commented several times that there is more involved to the action than just the hands. In fact, I even talked several times about the impact that the front arm/shoulder/scap has on the process. The only inconsistencies are made by you trying to twist people's words.
How do you apply torque to the barrel... we are only talking about hands/wrists/forearms here.

Jul 29, 2013
it can be done correctly with max intent. But over the duration there will be more bad then good. Every pro says this. Max intent doesn’t mean more speed or a shorter swing in time. To max something in anything means less control always. ‘Law of diminishing returns’ .. Barry and other are very precise and controlled with their swing work. Why would that change in the game?
'nough said.
The pros have a saying, "Let it eat!" To me that means Max.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How do you apply torque to the barrel... we are only talking about hands/wrists/forearms here.

There is more involved than the hands/wrists/forearms. If one is only using those body parts, the result will not be favorable.

When the elbow goes down, what happens to the top hand? Palm up, correct? But only if you allow it to go palm up. I can make my elbow go up and down all day long without changing the angle of the barrel. Think about Joe Morgan's pre-swing activity. If there is no perpendicular pressure applied to the handle, the barrel will point straight up in the air no matter what the elbow does. That isn't what JD does. The elbow goes down, the barrel head goes down. Exactly what I have been saying all along.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Not the drill but the action and intent, yes.
I further isolated the hand/arm action into a SnF drill. No torso rotation, strickly chopping down on my right side (bats right).
Then as Yelich said, I gradually brought the motion into a core movement that allowed me to get the barrel to an incoming pitch. That change in posture and tilt (@julray) automatically changed the chopping into TTB.
The feeling in my hands and arms is max application of torque from go.
No delay, no mere alignment of the barrel via TTB.
It caused me to really speed up my torso movement to get the bat to the ball and not swing down.

It is still TTB but as I've coined the term tTB, don't merely turn the barrel,
torque the shirt out of it. (Maybe it should be ttSO ?)

Aggressive TTB gives the same result, creating that sense of urgency to get your body moving quickly and not get left behind. Then if you go with your body first the sequence is better and the legs drive the swing. More power! ugh ugh ugh!

Overall it allows me to wait longer to swing because I max accelerate the bat at go from as far from the ball as possible. More acceleration, means more speed, means more distance covered in shorter time. More distance means more space and I use that space to further tilt the barrel and wrap my shoulders more against my pelvis opening allowing more core torque.
Yes, f'n MAX EFFORT SWINGS via better mechanics and max intent.

Ok, if that works for you.

Jul 29, 2013
There is more involved than the hands/wrists/forearms. If one is only using those body parts, the result will not be favorable.

When the elbow goes down, what happens to the top hand? Palm up, correct? But only if you allow it to go palm up. I can make my elbow go up and down all day long without changing the angle of the barrel. Think about Joe Morgan's pre-swing activity. If there is no perpendicular pressure applied to the handle, the barrel will point straight up in the air no matter what the elbow does. That isn't what JD does. The elbow goes down, the barrel head goes down. Exactly what I have been saying all along.
Sounds to me like muscle-ing up makes the barrel turn?
We are talking about applying torque to the handle through the hands. It makes sense that the hands would create resistance and not be all floppy and just along for the ride.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805