barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds to me like muscle-ing up makes the barrel turn?
We are talking about applying torque to the handle through the hands. It makes sense that the hands would create resistance and not be all floppy and just along for the ride.

I wouldn't refer to it as "muscling up", but there needs to be a certain amount of tension. Floppy wrists would lead to poor control, in my opinion. It's a matter of finding the right balance.

Jul 29, 2013
I wouldn't refer to it as "muscling up", but there needs to be a certain amount of tension. Floppy wrists would lead to poor control, in my opinion. It's a matter of finding the right balance.
Muscle is like Goldilocks? too much=bad too little=bad

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
You should try it. Probably work for you too.

I will stick to what works for me and what the pros use and continue to swing "down to".. The best are attacking the top half to hit line drives by swinging down and allow the barrel to be turned on its own based on what the pitch calls for.

I have been there done that when I tried Jack Mankins tht, bht.. I still have his bat (with the handle on the side) and heavy bag..

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There are different thresholds. Muscling up is not a good thing, we agree on that. But let's hypothetically say that the highest amount of effort that a hitter can exert and still maintain control is 90% (just an arbitrary number). If the hitter then swings at 90%, isn't he then maxing out his efficiency? And if he is swinging at 80% he is inefficient? We both agree that 100% would result in a lack of control.

Sorry, we use labor standards in our facility. If someone is selecting at the level they should, they are reaching 100%. It is physically possible to exceed that, but it typically leads to back or shoulder injuries. None of us want that. But if they are below that threshold, they need to improve. Our goal is to get to that 100% without going over. Because of this, I tend to look at things through that spectrum. Swinging at max efficiency to me is 100%. Muscling up would be over 100%. Anything less than 100% would be inefficient to me. I guess it depends how you look at the numbers...

exactly !

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
it can be done correctly with max intent. But over the duration there will be more bad then good. Every pro says this. Max intent doesn’t mean more speed or a shorter swing in time. To max something in anything means less control always. ‘Law of diminishing returns’ .. Barry and other are very precise and controlled with their swing work. Why would that change in the game?

In game, every player is looking for consistency. Not to hit the farthest ball possible every time up. The game is too hard for that. They want controlled force In a small timing window to barrel up more baseballs. Most slumps start with intent to max out or hit HRs. The only time they seem to max out is at the HR derby, when it’s to show the world how far they can hit a ball with no time constraint, go figure.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I will stick to what works for me and what the pros use and continue to swing "down to".. The best are attacking the top half to hit line drives by swinging down and allow the barrel to be turned on its own based on what the pitch calls for.

I have been there done that when I tried Jack Mankins tht, bht.. I still have his bat (with the handle on the side) and heavy bag..

lol. Really? What were the results of the Mankin system?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I have no idea what this paper says, but does it answer any physics questions that have been talked about?

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/PUBLICATIONS/44.BatSwing.pdf
I do enjoy physics. From this article (Received 3 June 2008; accepted 27 August 2008).

I. INTRODUCTION Swinging a bat, like walking, is a task that is much easier to perform in practice than to describe in terms of the relevant mechanics. Part of the problem is that many body segments are involved, with the result that a complete analysis of the swing is a complex problem involving both the biomechanics of the batter and the mechanics of the bat

VI. CONCLUSIONS One question is how a batter might maximize the velocity at the impact point on the bat. The question is whether the batter should attempt to maximize the angular velocity of the bat, or whether it is more important to maximize the linear velocity of the center of mass. Another question is whether a particular batter might benefit by using a lighter or heavier bat or a bat with a larger or smaller moment of inertia. The model developed in this paper will assist in providing partial answers, but is unlikely to provide complete answers because the forces and torques applied to a bat depend on the forces and torques exerted by all the various body segments used by the batter. In that respect an important issue that still has to be resolved is the extent to which the wrists play an active role in providing the initial and final couples required to swing a bat.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Max effort, relaxed effort, effortless power, smooth power, quick twitch, easy swing (stroke), tight grip, loose grip, flow, explode, steroids, no steroids, personality, long (armbar), short (turn the triangle)
They all work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805