barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I do not consider it to be a power move. The power of the swing is generated by much larger muscles. What the hands/forearms do is comparatively quite small. Maybe 5%, or less. So maybe it is a power move, just a very small one. Let me ask you this. When JD is talking about setting the plane, what is he doing with his hands? Specifically how does the orientation of his top hand change? Or is the bat still vertical after he does his move?
So explain this statement then..

"“I believe more force is applied at the moment of launch, while the amount of force applied throughout the arc is comparatively somewhat less” "

More force applied at launch vs Less force applied through out the arc. And it's only 5%?

Anyway this all circles back to what JD said, he said it wasn't a power move. You said you agreed. However, based on your statement about more force being applied at launch with comparatively less force being applied throughout the arc(swing). You are contradicting yourself.

When JD demos he is all about elbows.. getting his elbows in the right position to get behind and through the ball, not supination of the wrist/forearms etc.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Swinging down reminds him of the drill :)

Ky1ESsc.gif
It doesn't look like TTB is a separate movement. Looks like he's at max effort right from launch.

Jun 8, 2016
Looks like he's at max effort right from launch.
Which has been pretty much my contention from the beginning (replace max effort with as "explosive" as possible). You are trying to barrel up a ball coming at you 95+ MPH. Once you decide to swing you are all in...everybody should try it ;)

Jul 29, 2013
Which has been pretty much my contention from the beginning (replace max effort with as "explosive" as possible). You are trying to barrel up a ball coming at you 95+ MPH. Once you decide to swing you are all in...everybody should try it ;)
Yep, I don't see force and then coast, or gradual application and then full out.
Miggy: 8000 lbs of force and 85mph in a blink. Someone needs to show me how he does that and yet leaves something in the tank.

Nov 16, 2017
Add my .02 cents in here. I always have been a big TTB guy, but have been sort won over by the pro model. Or most of the pros. Meaning I don't believe supination is a forced action but happens when the core and bottom hand pulls violently forward. The top hand acts as a sort of oar lock creating a direction for the barrel.

Bottom hand is knob direction. Top hand = barrel control / direction.

The big key is getting palm up. That is where the chop portion of the swing is. If you don't get palm up and your top hand is not on plane with the pitch you will not be able to put maximum force and direction into the ball. You are not going to be able to be direct to the ball. You will have loops or other control issues in the swing.

MLB players have to have maximum control over the bat. That is why the swinging axe chop or Samurai chop has to be part of the swing. This is proven to be so. You must be able to get your bat on path and not deviate from that path with maximum force.

This is what Donaldson was demoing in the studio. If Donaldson where to extend his wrist here into the ball his path would change dramatically and the bath would shoot straight up. Not what he does.

1589201837257.png

This is not what you actually see him do. He doesn't just turn into the ball he gets his palm up so he can chop into the ball.

1589202002244.png

See how the demo top his top hand is a V and below it is an L. In the top video his wrist can't fire.

The chopping action the pros demo starts when what Miggy says is palm up.

I have been working with a girl for years now who has the biggest loop in her swing. I have done everything I know to get her to stop losing the barrel. I noticed her wrist are naturally just all jacked up. Her dad does this a bit too. She couldn't swing an axe well if she wanted to. I since told him until we can get her hands \ wrist to work like this and get her palm up her swing will never be right.

1589202856841.png

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

"“I believe more force is applied at the moment of launch, while the amount of force applied throughout the arc is comparatively somewhat less” "

More force applied at launch vs Less force applied through out the arc. And it's only 5%?

Anyway this all circles back to what JD said, he said it wasn't a power move. You said you agreed. However, based on your statement about more force being applied at launch with comparatively less force being applied throughout the arc(swing). You are contradicting yourself.

When JD demos he is all about elbows.. getting his elbows in the right position to get behind and through the ball, not supination of the wrist/forearms etc.

We were specifically talking about the actions of the hands/wrists/forearms. The turning action... Getting palm up quickly... My statement refers to more force being applied into the handle by the hands/wrist/forearms at the time of launch. In no place in that post did I mention anything about the impact of the torso and upper legs, which is where the true power source is. I stated that I agree with JD and I still agree with JD. Nothing I am saying is contrary to that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

every pro is a good fastball hitter. It’s the other stuff that makes or breaks you. Max speed is nonsense

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

By the way, I have been doing my best to answer your questions, yet you refuse to answer mine.

What happens to the top hand in his demonstration? Specifically, does it get "palm up"? I never once said anything about supination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight