barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
At any point. Max acceleration achieves greatest speed over time and over distance, however long or short the time or distance.
I've explained, mathematically, how one calculates time to contact. Based upon that you tell me whether or not you think maximizing acceleration at any one point in the swing path would guarantee optimal time to contact.

Jul 29, 2013
I've explained, mathematically, how one calculates time to contact. Based upon that you tell me whether or not you think maximizing acceleration at any one point in the swing path would guarantee optimal time to contact.
I think maximum acceleration should be applied at all points in the swing.
The result is max speed possible in the shortest time, whatever the time.
Of course the max speed at a point would not be the max speed compared to any later point, but would be the max speed attainable at that particular point based on available power.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Can’t keep up with all of you lol.

If you are trying to get maximum acceleration when the hands start to move, you are probably going to be squeezing the bottom hand.

Two negative events can come from the muscles being tight at that point.

Tight muscles are slower than relaxed muscles.

You most likely will not be able to keep your head to the points of contact.

Jun 8, 2016
I think maximum acceleration should be applied at all points in the swing.
The result is max speed possible in the shortest time, whatever the time.
Of course the max speed at a point would not be the max speed compared to any later point, but would be the max speed attainable at that particular point based on available power.
For a fixed path what you say is true. For an actual hitter where the force generated is a function of the path due to how muscles work, it is not nearly that simple.

Jul 29, 2013
Can’t keep up with all of you lol.

If you are trying to get maximum acceleration when the hands start to move, you are probably going to be squeezing the bottom hand.

Two negative events can come from the muscles being tight at that point.

Tight muscles are slower than relaxed muscles.

You most likely will not be able to keep your head to the points of contact.
Max acceleration for a particular hitter based on their method, path is max acceleration.
Max acceleration attainable with an efficient application of force isn't impeded by tight muscles if the tight muscles restrict efficiency.
Is there in inherent flaw in max application of force?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Max acceleration for a particular hitter based on their method, path is max acceleration.
Max acceleration attainable with an efficient application of force isn't impeded by tight muscles if the tight muscles restrict efficiency.
Is there in inherent flaw in max application of force?
Don't know about the particulars of max acceleration. But if you have that bottom hand squeezing tight when you start, you facing challenges down the road in your swing.

Jul 29, 2013
For a fixed path what you say is true. For an actual hitter where the force generated is a function of the path due to how muscles work, it is not nearly that simple.
The concept is certainly simple.
The answer is to practice generating max force at all points of the swing. I believe in setting lofty goals.
I realize that there may be inherent inaccuracies that could occur with this approach. I also know that more bat speed allows a greater range in launch angles that still result in homers. (if that's the goal) and more hard hit balls in spite of less than perfect incidence of contact.

Jul 29, 2013
Don't know about the particulars of max acceleration. But if you have that bottom hand squeezing tight when you start, you facing challenges down the road in your swing.
What if your hand pressure is perfect?
What if the hand pressure is perfect for creating max acceleration?
What if max application of torque throughout the swing has no correlation to hand pressure and squeezing the bat hard enough to make saw dust doesn't matter at all?
Is there a study that compares hand pressure to max bat speed?

Jul 29, 2013
Physics dictates that in order to rotationally accelerate the bat, torque is required. If torque is applied briefly and then not applied, does the barrel continue to turn? Is the turn then accomplished via centripetal force requiring even more force than torque while not resulting in greater bat speed?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight