barrel/hand pivot point, a.k.a TTB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Of course TTB is a power move, just not "the" power move of the swing.

Just like a power window in a car is a "power move(r)" as it moves the window up and down, but it doesn't move the car down the street in any such way.

Don't over think it. Just follow the correct barrel path and you'll find your way.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You believe more force is applied at the time of launch.., you said that, not me

I do not consider it to be a power move. The power of the swing is generated by much larger muscles. What the hands/forearms do is comparatively quite small. Maybe 5%, or less. So maybe it is a power move, just a very small one. Let me ask you this. When JD is talking about setting the plane, what is he doing with his hands? Specifically how does the orientation of his top hand change? Or is the bat still vertical after he does his move?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What was the question? Doesn't matter, if I had asked "Do gorillas eat their own sh*^?" I have a feeling the answer would have been the same...

You could add a bunch of ‘extra’ to the explanation. But it doesn’t matter if you can’t control the barrel. Max anything is any sport usually ends in less than optimal results. ‘Let the game come to you’ .. ‘play your game’ .. ‘try less hard’ ... ‘control your emotions’ ... ‘ work smarter not harder’ ... I can on for days.

Jun 8, 2016
You could add a bunch of ‘extra’ to the explanation. But it doesn’t matter if you can’t control the barrel. Max anything is any sport usually ends in less than optimal results. ‘Let the game come to you’ .. ‘play your game’ .. ‘try less hard’ ... ‘control your emotions’ ... ‘ work smarter not harder’ ... I can on for days.
Here is what I said originally:
"You want a barrel path/swing which has both a good time to contact and a good barrel velocity at contact. Maximizing one or the other will likely give suboptimal results."

You disagree with that? If you are talking to somebody else then quote that person.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here is what I said originally:
"You want a barrel path/swing which has both a good time to contact and a good barrel velocity at contact. Maximizing one or the other will likely give suboptimal results."

You disagree with that? If you are talking to somebody else then quote that person.

I agree. I was just trying to save you the long winded explanation.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
What if your hand pressure is perfect?
What if the hand pressure is perfect for creating max acceleration?
What if max application of torque throughout the swing has no correlation to hand pressure and squeezing the bat hard enough to make saw dust doesn't matter at all?
Is there a study that compares hand pressure to max bat speed?
Let’s me look….I don’t know. All I know is about helping hitters through the anguish of the dreaded slump.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Swinging down reminds him of the drill :)

Ky1ESsc.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travis.goodnight