Arm whip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Conclusions are based on specifics of/to the study. The study premise and study methodology are important and often cannot be ascertained from the conclusion.
SETPRO - it says here that you are a Vendor on DFP, what is it you are selling?

May 13, 2023
Wow, and I mean WOW.

I wanna preface this by admitting upfront that I am not very smart. I made it through high school but never went to college. I don't know how many of you all reading this could follow along with the above posts but, I could not. And it's unfortunate because there might be some terrific information in there that I just can't understand. I truly hope others could follow along. And while I'm usually very sarcastic, and try to use humor often, I'm not trying to be funny here. Trying to read that for me was like trying to read ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Honest questions, how do you dumb down all of that information for someone who couldn't follow along?
This is awesome Mr B.!
While I could use the laughter Emoji, I'm not going to, because I'm actually being serious...think your response is awesome...

Edit to add ~appears your request has not been responded to!

Last edited:

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
SETPRO - it says here that you are a Vendor on DFP, what is it you are selling?

In post #33 of this discussion I said:
And I'm not here to sell you anything.
And when I feel I can contribute help a parent and or player.
My reason for subscribing as a DFP vendor was simply to better identify who I am and also more importantly to support this discussion group.
How to effectively and most efficiently fastpitch is something that interests me and I would hope all those who visit here.
Also you, Tatonka, were the one who originally referenced my article in fangraphs hardball times referring to my definition of ball-flex-bow and the example of the whip. So I would think you would at least have a "nodding acquaintance" of who I am. :)

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
Previously I posted the following:

For example a simple calculation using internal rotation rate of the humerus and 9000° per second with a bent elbow creating approximately a 12 inch radius to be transcribed by the elbow-hand/ball projection equates to ball release speed of over hundred miles per hour.

The yellow line in this video is the radius that I am talking about.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
I know this is going to turn off a lot of people but it has to be done.... :(

The upper arm internally rotating along its long axis (humeral rotation) with a bent elbow will move the ball through an arc with a radius equal to the distance of the ball from the humeral long axis (line perpendicular to the humeral axis). The speed of the ball along the arc transcribed by the end end of this line (ball) would be equal to the humeral rotation rate (radians per second; 360° = 6.28 radians) x the distance the ball is from the center line of the humeral arc to the ball..

The linear speed of the ball is equal to how fast the upper arm creates internal rotation times the distance that the ball is away from the center line of the upper arm rotation.

In previous post I did a hypothetical calculation:

Humeral internal rotation rate w = 9000° per second = 157 radians per second.

Distance from ball to humeral rotational axis r = 12" = 1 foot.

Ball speed = w x r

Rotational speed of ball along arc transcribed by internal rotation = (157 radians per second x 12 inches (1 foot) = 157 feet/sec = 107 MPH.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
This concludes my visit here.

I thank you all for allowing me to pontificate and wake up some of my dormant brain cells.

And for those who think that I'm using AI, keep on thinking and I'm sure you'll sleep better at night.

For those who really were interested in what was being discussed here thank you for taking the time to engage.

Best of luck in all of your softball efforts.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
In post #33 of this discussion I said:

Also you, Tatonka, were the one who originally referenced my article in fangraphs hardball times referring to my definition of ball-flex-bow and the example of the whip. So I would think you would at least have a "nodding acquaintance" of who I am. :)
Ok, well LOL...I do recall you (Paul?) saying that in post #33 but to be honest I've only been skimming this thread (and a lot of stuff on here) lately. Thank you for the reminder of that earlier discussion from March '22... Keep up the good work over there, my DD's are much smarter than I am so perhaps I'll have them check the math!

ps. I definitely need to review that article more thoroughly and somehow see if we can find more speed with those minor tweaks to the chaos while not upsetting the fundamental mechanics already ingrained.

1704412696097.png

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I don't think a day of lessons goes by that a parent doesn't start singing that song when I instruct the kid to whip their elbow. And almost always, they think they are the first to start singing Devo and associate that song to the words I'm using in the lesson. Without fail, this happens every time. Over the years, I've come to completely despise that song.

Honestly, I don't even know what that study was investigating. And just when I didn't think it was possible to overcomplicate softball pitching any more, I find out that it is possible.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Ok, well LOL...I do recall you (Paul?) saying that in post #33 but to be honest I've only been skimming this thread (and a lot of stuff on here) lately. Thank you for the reminder of that earlier discussion from March '22... Keep up the good work over there, my DD's are much smarter than I am so perhaps I'll have them check the math!

ps. I definitely need to review that article more thoroughly and somehow see if we can find more speed with those minor tweaks to the chaos while not upsetting the fundamental mechanics already ingrained.

View attachment 29207
If only we had a member who was really good at math, engineering, and physics. Oh wait...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma