Group question, help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
When I was coaching had a girl that happened to one day warming up for first game. Couldn't get out of first inning and no matter how much tried to fix over next few weeks wouldn't get better. Decided to stop for season.

Thanks. I had another girl with a similar problem a few years ago, she quit pitching before we could even begin to start working on the issue.

I've had girls who's arm was away from the body but, I've never seen anything like this. And it's absolutely incredible to watch the arm progressively get further away with the more of the wind up we do. As I mentioned, I had her break it down to the point of doing wrist flips basically, her arm was tight to the body. We'd slowly start with the arm going up higher, working towards doing what you guys call the "K" drill. But, once her arm would go as high as level with her shoulder, she could not bring it down close to the body. The forearm, hand and ball automatically go away from her body like trying to push 2 magnets together. It's the weirdest thing. I was hoping someone here would know a fix.

With mine it became almost like a side-arm throw rather than underhand whip. At first I was certain it was an injury because her dad was crazy about getting in like 1,000 pitches per week year round, but they never found anything.

The season she started back up we had also moved up to the 12" ball, so maybe the heavier feeling helped for a while. Which makes me think the weighted ball could be good idea. We didn't try that and in hindsight wish I had.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
With mine it became almost like a side-arm throw rather than underhand whip. At first I was certain it was an injury because her dad was crazy about getting in like 1,000 pitches per week year round, but they never found anything.

The season she started back up we had also moved up to the 12" ball, so maybe the heavier feeling helped for a while. Which makes me think the weighted ball could be good idea. We didn't try that and in hindsight wish I had.
I've had a few absolute beginners who chuck it sidearm when they're trying to add speed, they have no muscle memory built up. That's not the same as an experienced pitcher starting to drift away from the hip.

Back to the original picture, has she been lifting weights like bench pressing? I look at her torso and she has broad shoulders but a slender waist. I think of serious weight lifters who have such large upper torso they can't put their arms down ala bundled up Randy in A Christmas Story. May not be a major reason she's not right up against her hip, but could be contributing. {Went back and read Uncdrew mentioned super weight-lifting lats, so that.}

May 27, 2013
I knew a girl several years ago who pitched like that but hers was due to a shoulder injury.

Aug 9, 2021
Posting to follow and see what the experts have to say.

IMHO based on that picture her entire body looks like she is trying to hit the on-deck batter. But I rarely watch pitchers from this angle so maybe that is normal?

Edit: does she have any video or pics that can give you a sense if anything else has changed since last summer? This could help you isolate the source of the issue.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
looks like something is wrong inside her elbow that prevents forearm pronation OR in her shoulder that prevents humeral internal rotation. Sounds like an orthopedic/ PT exam is in order not a Pitching evaluation. There was an injury event

Jul 22, 2015
Has anyone ever had a student release the ball so far away from their body? Backstory: this is a brand new student with me, Sunday was the 2nd time I saw her. I've never seen anything like it. Before anyone asks, she does not have anything out of the ordinary at the top of the arm circle, a lot of times when the ball is away from the body at the bottom then it was off line at the top too. While I wouldn't say her arm circle is 100% straight at the top, it's not as out of whack as this is.

When we would break it down, almost to the point of doing "wrist flips" she could get her arm close to her body. But anything from a "K" Drill into a full circle, her arm leaves the line of her body like you see in this pic. I tried to upload a video but, I couldn't get it from my phone onto here in a video format.

She tells me this issue started this past summer. Something happened in one game, during one single inning where the ground conditions forced her to pitch somewhat awkwardly. And now, regardless of how slowly she does an arm circle, the arm leaves the line of the body and extends outward. It's almost like she's got 2 magnets that repel each other. I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

View attachment 28738
The only time I've seen this is when the arm circle has become "tilted" or angled and comes over the head then has a corresponding gap away from the body like this. Some girls can get a better feel by going through their pitching motion with a wall to their right side so the arm can't be far away.

Feb 15, 2017
First thing I notice bill is her shoulders are collapsed already before the ball is released. Could this be causing the problem?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 25, 2022
Maybe trying a pitch-squeak would help? I made some to help kids find brush, but it seems like they just force the motion to hit the squeaker instead of hitting it naturally.

Seems like forcing the position may be just what you need. Someone sells them under that name. I don't recall where.

Nov 17, 2017
ME ME ME...

Been battling for a year now.

Started when she was taught a "Curveball". Then Travel coach called 90% curves
It was working.We were facing some of the best teams in the area and older teams

Her ball was coming out like a Slurve - slow, dropping outside and hard to hit
So..He kept calling it. Also at 14 yearsold,all she heard about was SPEED so IMO she started overthrowing and pushing

NOW??? Well she had some shoulder issues (of course) and then got hit in the hand batting and didn't pitch for 3 mos
looking at this as a blessing to step back and go back to fundamentals

Been concentrating on Excelorator circles - took out the backswing /Simplify everything

Still not gone - working like crazy but, it's a battle!!!!

She wasn't whipping and again,stepping back to getting her max whip hopefully helps

But, open to more ideas this is brutal!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles