1st base glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 9, 2010
My DD plays on a decent 14U travel team (decent for the northeast, I suppose I should qualify.:) She plays 1B and pitches occasionally (3rd P on team.) She's always used a regular fielders' glove at first, as do most of the girls who we play against. Occasionally I'll see a girl using a 1st baseman's glove and I wonder whether that's something I should invest in. She's not the greatest fielder in the world, and I don't have visions of D1 glory dancing in my head, but if it would make a noticeable difference in her fielding, I'd bite the bullet.

Can anybody lend some insight from their experience? Also, if I do it, I'd be looking to tiptoe in... no $280 Nokona for DD... so I'd appreciate any glove recommendations in the $60-80 range.

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2010
The first basemans mitt is longer and wider because the balls the first baseman usually catch are throws from other positions, whereas a normal fielders glove is designed to "field" balls hit off the bat. Also, remember, in baseball, there are a lot of throws coming directly from the pitcher in attempt to pick off the runner that you don't see in softball.

It will actually hinder her fielding ability but increase her ability to catch bad throws from her teammates.

-W

-W

Jan 9, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, if I understand, you're saying it'll be a bit harder for her to field ground balls with the 1B glove, but it will help her field throws better? I'm not sure that's a tradeoff I'd like to make.

One of her biggest fielding issues is that balls fielded backhand -- both hit and thrown -- often drop out of the glove. Now, I know her mechanics are probably at least 90% of the issue, but does the 1B glove design (deeper pocket?) help balls "stick" a little better?

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Thanks for the quick reply!

So, if I understand, you're saying it'll be a bit harder for her to field ground balls with the 1B glove, but it will help her field throws better? I'm not sure that's a tradeoff I'd like to make.

One of her biggest fielding issues is that balls fielded backhand -- both hit and thrown -- often drop out of the glove. Now, I know her mechanics are probably at least 90% of the issue, but does the 1B glove design (deeper pocket?) help balls "stick" a little better?

I always played 1B, and the ball will "stick" in a 1B mitt better than a regular glove. What glove is she currently using? My DD is using a Mizuno GMVP 1258 and the ball "sticks" almost as good as my 1B mitt. If not using a 1B mitt, I would definitely recommend a 12.5" glove or bigger.

Jan 9, 2010
I always played 1B, and the ball will "stick" in a 1B mitt better than a regular glove. What glove is she currently using? My DD is using a Mizuno GMVP 1258 and the ball "sticks" almost as good as my 1B mitt. If not using a 1B mitt, I would definitely recommend a 12.5" glove or bigger.

She's using a 12.5" Mizuno... don't know the model # offhand, but it's a decent glove in the $80-90 range. It's her 2nd Mizuno in a row and she likes it. Problem with gloves is, how do you really know? There's so many out there, and they take fairly long to break in, so just trying them on in a store is a bit of a crapshoot. Plus, with kids (or at least with my DD) I suspect it's looks has as much to do with her assessment as anything. And, unless you have a great sporting goods store nearby, you're limited in what she can actually try on anyway. Buying a glove online scares me, but for the 1B glove, I'm sure I won't have much choice.

Sorry, I guess I strayed from the subject a bit.

Last edited:
May 26, 2010
Central NJ
She's using a 12.5" Mizuno... don't know the model # offhand, but it's a decent glove in the $80-90 range. It's her 2nd Mizuno in a row and she likes it. Problem with gloves is, how do you really know? There's so many out there, and they take fairly long to break in, so just trying them on in a store is a bit of a crapshoot. Plus, with kids (or at least with my DD) I suspect it's looks has as much to do with her assessment as anything. And, unless you have a great sporting goods store nearby, you're limited in what she can actually try on anyway. Buying a glove online scares me, but for the 1B glove, I'm sure I won't have much choice.

Sorry, I guess I strayed for the subject a bit.

If she's already using a Mizuno 12.5" glove, a 1B mitt will help a little but not a lot. Whether it's worth the investment is up to you.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I always used a firstbaseman mitt at 1st base. That added couple of inches comes in handy on almost every throw. There is a reason that you never see a fielder's glove being used at 1st base in MLB. And there is a reason that used to be you couldn't use them at other positions. They really scoop the ball well. I wear mine at various positions in ASA, now. I prefer a mitt.

They don't make my SSK mitt any longer and my latest Softball Sales shows mitts as 12.5 and 13 inches. Look at Mizuno GFX92, Louisville Slugger CATFB, Louisville Slugger VFB and Worth DCFP1BM.

Sep 10, 2010
I really like the Easton Natural, im a stickler for having to have it when my daughter isnt using it

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
1B mitt

when DD was moving up from U12 to U16, I got her a Wilson A2000 and spent about $200 on it. My thoughts were
a) she liked to play 1b and was very good at it
b) having a 1B mitt would make her look like a 1B to new coaches who hadn't seen her play.
c) she was in 8th grade and would get a lot of use out of it.

3 years later and she has never used it.

she liked her fielders glove and wanted to stick with the glove she was comfortable with.

Also, she seldom sees any action at 1B any more. Partly due to the fact that she stopped growing at 5'-0", but regardless of that, I believe she would still be playing 1B if she used that glove. She is getting a lot more time in the OF getting to watch girls who aren't as good as her dropping throws to 1B. (daddyball)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00