First Base Glove Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2022
Long time lurker and first time poster here. I have gained so much info here and it's much appreciated!

My daughter primarily plays 1B. Her Liberty Advanced has served her well in 10U but it is in need of replacement. (Definitely very "floppy", which I've seen mentioned here multiple times). She should be able to get through Spring season with it, so break in time is not an issue.

I've seen the Rawlings HOH DCT 13" mentioned in some previous threads. Looking to see if that's her best option.

My daughter is 4'11'', 125 lbs. She doesn't like the fit of the smaller hand stall in the Bradley glove she has for outfield. She also refuses wearing the glove TIP.

I plan on purchasing through one of the vendors on this forum. Thank you!

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I would like to add to the with a question about how much does the size matter for first base gloves?
What is considered the normal size 1st base glove for a high school or college player?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My daughter primarily plays 1B. Her Liberty Advanced has served her well in 10U but it is in need of replacement.
So what is her exact age....wanting to know for exact ball size? And is her LA glove a 1B mitt or a fielders glove? If it's a fielders glove now, is getting her a 1B mitt an absolute must?

If you must get her a 1B mitt, get one copied / modeled after the Rawlings DCT pattern regardless of manufacturer brand.

Feb 25, 2022
She is 10 years old, but plays both 10 and 12, so both 11" and 12" balls. Her LA is a 12.75" 1B mitt. I'd be hard pressed to get her to use anything but a 1B mitt at 1st. She's a stubborn one, although I will say, the extra reach and larger pocket to scoop has definitely been an advantage.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Every single glove thread I always just wait to see when AD is coming to tell you more than you ever wanted to know
about gloves :D

And I stress the "more than you wanted" part...hahahaha ;)

Feb 25, 2022
Can’t believe I’m even posting this link for a 10 year old….in fact don’t even look at it, crazy talk! 🙄

Haha! I try to have the buy once, cry once mentality on these things. I know she's young and her love for softball may change, but as of now she's super dedicated to the sport. I'd rather her have a glove that will last more than 2 years and if all else fails, it could be my new beer league glove!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I believe the 12.75 LA is a Dick's exclusive, but don't quote me. Before diving into a new mitt, have you had the mitt re-laced or tightened up? My daughter has the 13" LA for her backup position at 1B, and she doesn't use it very often, so I just tightened the laces to bring it back to life. I find the LA 1B mitt has a problem loosening up pretty quickly, but it will snap back if you can either tighten the laces or re-lace the mitt. The cost of re-lacing the mitt might be too much for a lower-cost product, but maybe you can do it yourself to save a few bucks.

A new HOH or A2000 will be very stiff and take a while to break in. They will last a long time, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802