1st base glove query

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
i'm guessing the 2 year window/need to break in quickly........but i may be wrong
I'd say one of the top 3 or 4 toughest break-ins ever for me was a Tan Kip Vinci custom (didn't even have a model name or number) that I got for Anna when she was 12. It was an absolute brick of a glove, a solid 6+ month break-in!

Must be the dyeing process because the Black Vinci Limited Kips are a piece of cake for me, NO, and I mean NO comparison to that Tan Kip!
101.jpg108.jpg

Apr 8, 2019
I'd say one of the top 3 or 4 toughest break-ins ever for me was a Tan Kip Vinci custom (didn't even have a model name or number) that I got for Anna when she was 12. It was an absolute brick of a glove, a solid 6+ month break-in!

Must be the dyeing process because the Black Vinci Limited Kips are a piece of cake for me, NO, and I mean NO comparison to that Tan Kip!
View attachment 27363View attachment 27364
I'm still trying to sort out all these leather types. I thought that kip was from a younger animal, so it should be a little smoother, thinner, lighter and a little easier to break in. Is that not the case?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

View attachment 27363View attachment 27364
That thing just looks stiff in the pictures.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm still trying to sort out all these leather types. I thought that kip was from a younger animal, so it should be a little smoother, thinner, lighter and a little easier to break in. Is that not the case?
It is all of those but the easier break-in in my experience, but.....it's much tighter grained and that's where the added stiffness comes in! I've never owned Rawlings or Wilson Kip so YMMV?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
That thing just looks stiff in the pictures.
That was a fantastic glove!! It was basically a 12" Vinci Pro1000, pattern was identical. Rous completely went through that glove once and I re-laced the fingertips, web, and web spiral probably 5 or 6 times? That glove made a lot of girls take a right at 1B and go sit down!

Oct 4, 2018
former player just got the nod to start as a first year at 1B.....she's a career 3B

dad (a good friend) might be looking to pick up a 1B glove.....she'll likely need it this year, and possibly next year......by Jr year she's projected to move over to 3B (girl there now is a Jr)

so you needs a solid glove, something that won't be a bear to break in, that would get her through 2 years of college ball

so what say you......what fits this bill?

What?

A 3B being converted to a 1B? On the fly? In college?

:)

Oct 4, 2018
he's not me ;)

i was thinking a liberty advanced off the rack......guessing that would get her through two seasons comfortably?

Just, yes.

My DD uses one in 14U and only plays about half the innings at 1B. Two years later it's a bit floppy. I'm sure shoving it in her bag and such has helped it's demise.

Reading LE's post, I might need to retighten it. Just untie a few knots, tug on stuff, re-tie the knots. Right? :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45