16 yo struggling with SO and pop ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
No hip turn which results in swinging down. Swinging down=pop ups. You don't want the barrel going below the ball after contact. Put a cardboard box in front of a tee (preferably the Advanced Skills Tee-the one with the foward arm) at the same height as the tee. Hit the ball without hitting the box.

Jun 8, 2016
One thing I see in both swings is she comes out of posture (stands up) before swinging. Some kids do fine with starting in posture and staying there, and some kids do better with starting a bit more upright and then loading into posture. Perhaps something to play around with..

Aug 12, 2021
No hip turn which results in swinging down. Swinging down=pop ups. You don't want the barrel going below the ball after contact. Put a cardboard box in front of a tee (preferably the Advanced Skills Tee-the one with the foward arm) at the same height as the tee. Hit the ball without hitting the box.
I have the advanced skills tee so I’ll give that a try. I have a feeling though that her swings off a tee don’t finish as low as her live pitching swings.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know its going to sound silly but go to the goodwill or salvation army and but whatever bats the have. wood, aluminum or whatever. Saw off the knobs. Have her throw the bats with direction, power and spin. Keeping head/eyes relatively still. Line drives to RC and LC. When her body can figure out the sequence needed to do this she will have a better understanding of how the swing works. (middle out) With the hand path she is employing now, she would be throwing the bat about 10 feet in front and throwing it towards the 3rd baseman.
Throwing a Frisbee left handed with power (core) and direction also may help.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
One thing I see in both swings is she comes out of posture (stands up) before swinging. Some kids do fine with starting in posture and staying there, and some kids do better with starting a bit more upright and then loading into posture. Perhaps something to play around with..
Best, best way to teach posture is a mirror or reflection in a sliding glass door. You see and feel it at the same time.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Best, best way to teach posture is a mirror or reflection of a sliding glass door. You see and feel it at the same time.
Back before indoor hitting, in the cold of the MA winter, I would swing in the garage at night and use the garage door windows as mirrors...LOL!!

Sep 18, 2012
I’m guessing your daughter doesn’t pull many balls. I’m not a professional hitting coach, but to me the biggest problem with strikeouts is usually the head. The head should remain fairly steady and see the ball out in front of the body. Watch Pujols’ head in the video below your post. Some other adjustments need to be made, but I’d start with the head. Put a tee out in front of her and make her see the bat make contact with the ball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Back before indoor hitting, in the cold of the MA winter, I would swing in the garage at night and use the garage door windows as mirrors...LOL!!

I do while on the deck, remember the problems I had. Looking at my reflection was like duh, that’s how it should feel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA