14U Hitting - Timing The Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Except for he said she was way early in 1 AB. It is certainly possible you are correct and she just rushed everything because of that and was still early . That said good hitters with good mechanics don't have to be exactly on time on every pitch in order to do damage.
Possibly a change up. From what I see hitters are typically consistently late or, rarely, consistently early. I tend to classify hitters by the MPH they are comfortable with; a 55mph swinger will be a little late on a pitcher that works in the upper 50's and a little early on a pitcher who throws low 50's. But it's easier to adjust down to a slower pitcher. I tell my pitchers if the other team seems late work inside, if they are on time or early work outside more.

Jun 8, 2016
Possibly a change up. From what I see hitters are typically consistently late or, rarely, consistently early. I tend to classify hitters by the MPH they are comfortable with; a 55mph swinger will be a little late on a pitcher that works in the upper 50's and a little early on a pitcher who throws low 50's. But it's easier to adjust down to a slower pitcher. I tell my pitchers if the other team seems late work inside, if they are on time or early work outside more.
Yeah without actually seeing the swings everyone is guessing 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mar 24, 2014
Fastpitch86…..get ready for the tsunami that’s headed your way! 🍿🍿🍿

You probably should have asked this over in the Hitting Practical section. Those guys are pros!
Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure where to put this post. Figure there would be a tsunami but will have to sort through all the constructive posts.

Mar 24, 2014
Getting the front foot up is the load. Not load then pick your front foot up. Most of the rearward movement you see just prior to foot up is the body preparing to pick the foot up. The earlier the better. That’s what elite hitters do against elite pitching.

Now there are mechanics to picking the front foot up (knee lift) but if your DD is late this fixes it. It takes work. It’s uncomfortable for them to pick it up early. They are vulnerable lol! Get comfortable with it then teach them how to move out in a controlled manner.

Thanks for the comments and video!

Mar 24, 2014
Timing really is the magic. And one of the last things it seems many learn. We've all seen the beautiful swing off the tee and on front toss. And then not translate to success in games.

The "Three Plate Drill" can be helpful. But honestly, just keep playing and getting reps...
We do the 3-plate drill a lot and have been doing it for awhile but once she's in the game it starts to break down. Thanks.

Oct 4, 2018
We do the 3-plate drill a lot and have been doing it for awhile but once she's in the game it starts to break down. Thanks.

I hear ya. The 3-plate drill seems useful, but honestly if you know you're closer to the pitcher you know to swing sooner. I'm not entirely sold on the drill providing all that much value.

Oct 4, 2018
1st year 14U - thankfully we haven't seen anywhere near 60 yet. I've been trying to get them to sync up with the pitcher's stride foot. "Start moving [sway / load / stop being a statue, etc.] when she picks her foot up".

When I try to time up the pitcher, it seems to be a good reference point, but I'm not the one in the batter's box, and since it never seems to be an issue with tee or front toss, I often forget to reinforce the idea until the player is down 0-1 and swinging when the ball is already in the mitt.

As you start seeing 60 it becomes "load when they load, step when they step" as you can imagine. Not a perfect science, of course...

Nov 18, 2015
As you start seeing 60 it becomes "load when they load, step when they step" as you can imagine. Not a perfect science, of course...

This sounds way too logical and straightforward, as if it was something even a 12U player could understand and (maybe?) implement.

We should request this thread be moved over to the Technical Hitting forum for proper obfuscation. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom