12U DD Update--Need some new eyes/suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
A drill I use and refer to by the names of the "Stork Drill", "Florida Drill", "Ethier Drill" and "Lead Leg Lift Drill".

29dxtv9.gif

Good drill to help learning the sequence of "go forward" and then "prepare to throw". Helps give a sense of the hands providing balance during the move out.

Read Noon's post above and see if that description might connect with you.

Ok...that's what I needed right there. I've seen this drill before but had totally forgot about it. Thanks!

Sent from my typewriter

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yesterday we only had a few minutes after pitching practice so we worked on Turning the Barrel and keeping the distance between the elbows the same and not collapsing the rear elbow. It seemed she understood this for the first time where before I'm not sure she did. We started slow so she could feel it. We did not work her lower half at all due to the limited time.

I'm letting her read y'all's suggestions as we discuss what we need to do. Hopefully we can work on the lower half and her load to attack position tonight.

Sent from my typewriter
The swing 'slots' the elbow.....
Practice this:
RyTee.gif

To get this:
TeeDrillRH.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Ok...updated game swing from this weekend. Disregard the late swing. This was a pretty quick 16U screw ball pitcher (DD is 12) so it took her a few cuts to adjust to the speed. She ended up hitting a week ground ball while trying to protect. Her coach does make her fake bunt swing since she is small and the girls typically creep in on her and she puts it over their heads.

How does this swing look? Load, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Fiveframeswing:quote

Quick story ...

A team I work with was having a car wash today. During a dry spell, with no cars to wash, the ladies took wet towels, spun them up, and starting whipping each other. I stopped them .... and explained the lead arm action. I showed them how the upper lead arm ... from the shoulder to the elbow ... points back to the target they are trying to whip, and how the forearm snaps/releases against that. I also gave a frisbee throwing analogy. I explained how the lead arm action also works to zero in on their target and be more precise. And with that the girls went back to whipping one another, but with much greater precision. Fortunately cars rolled in before anyone got hurt.

I can just picture in my mind every girl there listening intently on every word coming out of your mouth, on how to snap that towel and the relationship to hitting.....WOW....good stuff....;)

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

RD posted what I was thinking about your daughters swing.
Work on sequence.

Create space front rear hip and hands.

Load hips, inner leg first, then step out and separate. Don't move the arms early.
I do a throwing drill called late separation to help them feel the sequence.

SL

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Thoughts? It does appear to me that she is finally loading and allowing her back hip to move forward with the stretch, we are just not getting a good upper body stretch. Is that what y'all are seeing?

Sent from my typewriter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl