12U DD Update--Need some new eyes/suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I can just picture in my mind every girl there listening intently on every word coming out of your mouth, on how to snap that towel and the relationship to hitting.....WOW....good stuff....;)

SL

SL, that's how it works. When a coach instructs the players they are expected to listen. Hopefully this isn't anything odd to you.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok...updated game swing from this weekend. Disregard the late swing. This was a pretty quick 16U screw ball pitcher (DD is 12) so it took her a few cuts to adjust to the speed. She ended up hitting a week ground ball while trying to protect. Her coach does make her fake bunt swing since she is small and the girls typically creep in on her and she puts it over their heads.

How does this swing look? Load, etc.

In this particular swing, a sequence of "Forward-As-We-Prepare-To-Throw" is not synchronized with the pitcher. Either she is being overwhelmed by the pitcher's speed, or her sequence is in need of improvement ... or both. From that point onward she is rushed and ends up being late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
In this particular swing, the sequence of "Forward-As-We-Prepare-To-Throw" is not synchronized with the pitcher. Either she is being overwhelmed by the pitcher's speed, or her sequence is in need of improvement ... or both. From that point onward she is rushed and ends up being late.

I think a little of both, but it was the only decent video I got of the at bat. She was definitely trying to adjust to this pitcher's speed. We have tried to work on starting the load earlier but it's baby steps for sure. I'm not a big fan of the fake-bunt-swing, but she has had success in games doing it so the coach keeps calling it. I think it makes her rush through the hitting sequence.

I'm trying to get the sequence from the practice field to the game and It appears that at least her lower body is starting to go in the right direction.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think a little of both, but it was the only decent video I got of the at bat. She was definitely trying to adjust to this pitcher's speed. We have tried to work on starting the load earlier but it's baby steps for sure. I'm not a big fan of the fake-bunt-swing, but she has had success in games doing it so the coach keeps calling it. I think it makes her rush through the hitting sequence.

I'm trying to get the sequence from the practice field to the game and It appears that at least her lower body is starting to go in the right direction.

The approach of "show bunt and swing" can help a hitter learn the basic sequence. For some hitters, it's the only time they swing with a proper sequence.

In terms of timing the pitcher ... the notion is to be going "forward" as the pitch is "released to go forward". Since your daughter is not going forward by the time the pitch is released, she is late. From the pitcher's release on-wards your daughter is rushing to catch up for being late.

Taking the video along with the pitcher was smart. You collected excellent information to help your DD.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
In terms of timing the pitcher ... the notion is to be going "forward" as the pitch is "released to go forward". Since your daughter is not going forward by the time the pitch is released, she is late. From the pitcher's release on-wards your daughter is rushing to catch up for being late.

Ok, I have never heard that. That is great info to know and will for sure help. Thanks FFS!!!!!

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The fake bunt and swing as well as SNF forces one to load/unload in the sagittal plane.. This is why so many struggle going from SNF to conventional.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nvep8fLsVK1usf292o1_500.gif

tumblr_nvepgbBKx51usf292o1_500.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl