Turning the Barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looking at the Antonelli video on JD, he focuses more on getting/turning "palm up" (AKA what Miggy says and many others) then talking about turning the barrel or knob. Also in the video, you can see that he starts to turn palm up.. but it's more gradual than the short abrupt TTB that TM mentions. He's obviously involving the other major muscles. Looks to me he uses palm up to get the bat on plane early and let the larger muscles take over.... not to generate power/ or early bat speed.. JMHO. Again I believe the hands are an active player allowing the bat to get on plane early ... which allows the major muscles create bat speed deep in the zone

The palm up term is the top hand becoming radial deviated or cocked the same way you might swing a hammer or an axe. That’s the running start so one can stride out get the foot down and not commit yet.

If one ‘turns’ the barrel behind them. Can they still RD or is supination required? If we are trying to get speed behind us?

You can’t stay palm up like JD if your getting the barrel going early behind you. FACT.

Jun 8, 2016
Does anyone see these 2 hand/barrel movements as the same action/reactions ?

gphrSbI.gif

vxBprBm.gif
Not exactly then again I don't see the same exact actions here either:

;)

Jun 8, 2016
Are You being honest and think JD is attempting this ?

gphrSbI.gif
No..that is a bad demonstration by Matt of TTB for that pitch location (e.g. where the ball is on the tee)...that would be ok for a pitch near his chest maybe.

May 12, 2016
The palm up term is the top hand becoming radial deviated or cocked the same way you might swing a hammer or an axe. That’s the running start so one can stride out get the foot down and not commit yet.

If one ‘turns’ the barrel behind them. Can they still RD or is supination required? If we are trying to get speed behind us?

You can’t stay palm up like JD if your getting the barrel going early behind you. FACT.

Getting way too technical here.. so I will simplify the way MA does. Palm up means, top hand palm turning towards the sky. When this happens, the knob turns, the barrel turns, resulting in the barrel getting on plane early. Not my focus to get speed behind me, do't really care, but if it happens I'm not going to argue about it, great!

Also I didn't say anything about "remaining" palm up(palm facing towards the sky). Palm direction will change with location... or does it? Maybe it's the the plane of the body changes, :). The barrel arcs behind when a hitter gets palm up, whether it's early in their swing or later on, ..FACT

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No..that is a bad demonstration by Matt of TTB for that pitch location (e.g. where the ball is on the tee)...that would be ok for a pitch near his chest maybe.

Sorry, I guess we are much further apart in cause/effect then I thought. One is forcing action on the barrel behind him while the other is allowing the barrel to lag behind until leveraged so the hands/barrel are being pulled

ZR3yDY5.gif

vxBprBm.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So "the best hitters in the world" have somehow figured out a way to "turn the knob" without the barrel also turning? I think the Hanson principle may have trouble verifying that comment. I really do enjoy some of your posts, but it seems like you are just grasping with this one...

They turn the knob to go in a direction... to the ball. They don’t turn it to get the barrel going behind them.... Silly internet magic to lure dads and their wallets.

Turn the knob deeper. A bit of a revision from his older vids. Lol. Still references the knob to the ball deep. He must read my posts here and other places. Haha.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry, I guess we are much further apart in cause/effect then I thought. One is forcing action on the barrel behind him while the other is allowing the barrel to lag behind until leveraged so the hands/barrel are being pulled

ZR3yDY5.gif

vxBprBm.gif
I see that in JD's drill....in his game swing I see more action of the hands turning the barrel.

Jun 8, 2016
They turn the knob to go in a direction... to the ball. They don’t turn it to get the barrel going behind them.... Silly internet magic to lure dads and their wallets.

Turn the knob deeper. A bit of a revision from his older vids. Lol. Still references the knob to the ball deep. He must read my posts here and other places. Haha.

So they are turning it early so whatever their intent is the result is still early barrel acceleration..I don't see what we are arguing about. Everybody agrees that that knob/hand path will have a component which will be towards the ball. The problem is when most instructors tell a kid knob to the ball that doesn't include the instruction that there is also a rotational component to the knob motion which occurs at/near launch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Getting way too technical here.. so I will simplify the way MA does. Palm up means, top hand palm turning towards the sky. When this happens, the knob turns, the barrel turns, resulting in the barrel getting on plane early. Not my focus to get speed behind me, do't really care, but if it happens I'm not going to argue about it, great!

Also I didn't say anything about "remaining" palm up(palm facing towards the sky). Palm direction will change with location... or does it? Maybe it's the the plane of the body changes, :). The barrel arcs behind when a hitter gets palm up, whether it's early in their swing or later on, ..FACT

Wrong. It arcs on the side of his body ie right side for a righty. Not behind him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13