Quest for pitching knowledge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It looks more like Drag...Interrupted.

I tried to find Cat as a young pitcher I have as a stepper. Tim Timmons?? No,Tim was the hitting guy. Glue the bat to your shoulder. The video from Cat’s first pitching coach taught a stepping style. He was part of the propaganda by a fastpitch magazine owner who sold 4 stepping style teachers videos. He sold all Ernie Parker’s videos. Not sure why because he was totally against leap n drag. Said it was all illegal and just served to cut down the throwing distance.

I will try to find that video of her. It’s not the entire motion.

Anyways, you can never change everything about how and what you first learn. Game time only reinforces what you first learn.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
I tried to find Cat as a young pitcher I have as a stepper. Tim Timmons?? No,Tim was the hitting guy. Glue the bat to your shoulder. The video from Cat’s first pitching coach taught a stepping style. He was part of the propaganda by a fastpitch magazine owner who sold 4 stepping style teachers videos. He sold all Ernie Parker’s videos. Not sure why because he was totally against leap n drag. Said it was all illegal and just served to cut down the throwing distance.

I will try to find that video of her. It’s not the entire motion.

Anyways, you can never change everything about how and what you first learn. Game time only reinforces what you first learn.
2 years ago or whenever it was that I was with the Olympic team, I remember having a bullpen convo with Cat. She told me she only credits 2 people with her pitching (aside from her dad who would play catch with her) Timmons and Bobby Smith. Smith still pitches in the old timers games and tournaments, including the over 70 division. Her pitching changed when she met him as he taught her how to spin the ball correctly for pitches. And she has huge hands which made it easier.

Ernie Parker was a very nice man, I always enjoyed talking to him. But, I think most everyone would throw up in their collective mouths if they watched his videos today. A lot of H/E stuff. He moved to California at the right time and somehow go involved with some people on the big time clubs of the day. But there also wasn't an internet where people could publicly refute what he taught. And pitching coaches weren't a dime a dozen like today. He was a pioneer in 2 ways: some of the first videos on the market and his certification program. I always like him but, I didn't agree with most of his teachings. I can remember in the early 2000's, before Ernie died, there would be pitching coaches who had "Ernie Parker certified" on their biz cards. I am told that he changed a lot of his teachings before he passed away, more in line with what pitchers actually do instead of his H/E stuff. But by then, there was 1000's of instructors, internet coaches, online videos, etc. Ernie's videos and teachings became as obsolete as the hitting coach's "squish the bug" teaching when people figured out that's not actually what is happening during the pitch or swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes. Cat has large hands to spin that ball.

Every time I’ve seen her interviewed, she would reference her spins. She always has said if her spins are working correctly her pitching was good.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
2 years ago or whenever it was that I was with the Olympic team, I remember having a bullpen convo with Cat. She told me she only credits 2 people with her pitching (aside from her dad who would play catch with her) Timmons and Bobby Smith. Smith still pitches in the old timers games and tournaments, including the over 70 division. Her pitching changed when she met him as he taught her how to spin the ball correctly for pitches. And she has huge hands which made it easier.

Ernie Parker was a very nice man, I always enjoyed talking to him. But, I think most everyone would throw up in their collective mouths if they watched his videos today. A lot of H/E stuff. He moved to California at the right time and somehow go involved with some people on the big time clubs of the day. But there also wasn't an internet where people could publicly refute what he taught. And pitching coaches weren't a dime a dozen like today. He was a pioneer in 2 ways: some of the first videos on the market and his certification program. I always like him but, I didn't agree with most of his teachings. I can remember in the early 2000's, before Ernie died, there would be pitching coaches who had "Ernie Parker certified" on their biz cards. I am told that he changed a lot of his teachings before he passed away, more in line with what pitchers actually do instead of his H/E stuff. But by then, there was 1000's of instructors, internet coaches, online videos, etc. Ernie's videos and teachings became as obsolete as the hitting coach's "squish the bug" teaching when people figured out that's not actually what is happening during the pitch or swing.

I learned from Ernie Parker videos until I ran in to him at Cal State Fullerton and started bringing my players to him for lessons. He was , at that time the closes thing to a rock star back then. He was well connected to the big time travel ball teams in OC. He had several big name pitchers back then, Amanda Freed , Lisa Fernandez and I think worked with Finch too. Several years later , I found DFP and Boardmember and change everything.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles