Turning the Barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Antonelli is talking about direction. And Gwynn is talking his path. Do you understand those 2 elements in swing mechanics?
I understand that if one is saying turn (as opposed to push) the knob the result will be a barrel turn since the bat is rigid. The motion of the hands has 2 components, a rotational component (e.g. "turning" them) and a linear component...both are important.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ll say it for you , THE HANDS. As in hands to the ball...
I don't know anybody who says the hand motion during the swing doesn't have a component which is "to the ball", e.g. part of the linear motion is in a direction which is opposite to the ball flight direction. There are some, and I am not sure if you one of them or not, who think that the hands do not start to rotate until well after swing launch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I understand that if one is saying turn (as opposed to push) the knob the result will be a barrel turn since the bat is rigid. The motion of the hands has 2 components, a rotational component (e.g. "turning" them) and a linear component...both are important.
Yup. The linear part being when exactly?

May 12, 2016
Looking at the Antonelli video on JD, he focuses more on getting/turning "palm up" (AKA what Miggy says and many others) then talking about turning the barrel or knob. Also in the video, you can see that he starts to turn palm up.. but it's more gradual than the short abrupt TTB that TM mentions. He's obviously involving the other major muscles. Looks to me he uses palm up to get the bat on plane early and let the larger muscles take over.... not to generate power/ or early bat speed.. JMHO. Again I believe the hands are an active player allowing the bat to get on plane early ... which allows the major muscles create bat speed deep in the zone

Jun 8, 2016
Since this is the technical forum. It’s ‘hands to a release point on its most direct line inside the ball.’
In the other thread Rose's hand path was traced out for you and it wasn't a straight line if that is what you mean by "most direct line"..Hand path is going to depend on pitch location...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Please ignore me if we are NOT trying to match the best hitters in the world.

So "the best hitters in the world" have somehow figured out a way to "turn the knob" without the barrel also turning? I think the Hanson principle may have trouble verifying that comment. I really do enjoy some of your posts, but it seems like you are just grasping with this one...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Does anyone see these 2 hand/barrel movements as the same action/reactions ?

gphrSbI.gif

vxBprBm.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles