Stepping up to a -11

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
when i was coaching 10u travel, virtually all of my girls were swinging the old CF9 -11.....the classic teal one

some were 30, some were 31.....some transitioned to 31 from 30........one or two might have even been at 32

they all stayed at the -11 as they increased length; with the smaller ball, a little less mass seemed to make no difference, and they all had good swings, good bat control, generated good bat speed.......as a team, we hit the crap out of the ball

they told us when it was time to move up from the -11 when they started to crack bats lol.....by our first year 12u season, almost all of them transitioned to a 31 or 32 -10.....a couple of the taller/bigger girls transitioned to 33 at some point in 12u

with the smaller ball, i don't think the extra oz of mass helps things as much as good bat control and being able to generate good bat speed; imho by the time girls move up to the 12" ball, that extra oz DOES become a factor, but it's a lot harder to get rid of habits developed from swinging a too big of a bat too soon

guess my .02 is that for most swings at 10u, you aren't going to hurt anything with the -11, and it will become apparent if that bat is too light for them........with the 11" ball, I like to err to the oz light vs oz heavy........your mileage may vary

That classic teal bat was one of the best ever made…I miss that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
I really, really appreciate all the guidance. I’ll add a once and see how we do.

Now, for the fun part!!! Which -11 should we get??? She’s a first year travel ball player U10, U12 next season and it’s her 3rd year of little league. Still working on contact, but she’s getting there. Takes about 120 swings a day outside of team events.
If you have a lot of dough get a ghost and you can replace it while you wait for the warranty to come back. If not get a Demarini, LS, or Mizuno.

Jun 19, 2016
One thing worth noting is a drop 11 is not necessarily a drop 11. It is my experience the bigger the drop and the shorter the bat the bigger the delta. I think I would get a drop 10 asap for my DD if I had it over to do again.

Jul 1, 2022
One thing worth noting is a drop 11 is not necessarily a drop 11. It is my experience the bigger the drop and the shorter the bat the bigger the delta. I think I would get a drop 10 asap for my DD if I had it over to do again.
Truth, I have a 2020 Prism 28/17 and comes in at 19 oz... It's kind of ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
and at her age, some of the mid/lesser range composites weren't horrible........plenty of girls swung that old LS Mendoza before they moved up to a more expensive bat and did just fine.....

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
and at her age, some of the mid/lesser range composites weren't horrible........plenty of girls swung that old LS Mendoza before they moved up to a more expensive bat and did just fine.....
We had an old 30" Miken Icon one-piece that changed hands several times, looked like it had been drug behind a truck on a gravel road for many miles. That little bat was hot as a match, probably still wasn't broken in?

May 20, 2015
We had an old 30" Miken Icon one-piece that changed hands several times, looked like it had been drug behind a truck on a gravel road for many miles. That little bat was hot as a match, probably still wasn't broken in?

i think we had an easton synge at one point that had been through 4-5 sets of hands

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Man, the Mikens were awesome back then when they did fp. Those little one piece Icons were hot as heck after you broke them in
a bit and were tanks. great for young kids and price was nice for parents

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles