Wow!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
Those degrees create openings for students that other schools do not. If you are pursuing a law or business degree, your salary upon graduation will be much higher than a lower-level school. For example, a client of mine graduated from Wharton three years ago and got a job with JP Morgan. Her starting salary was $185K. She is not getting that kind of money from XYZ University. The same goes for law schools. After four years of working, the average salary for a Stanford law grad is close to $250K per year.

All other things being equal, you will do better with a degree from a top university. Nobody will dispute that. I worked for Accenture of 16 years until 2001. When I was working for Accenture, they only looked at engineering and comp sci grads with pretty high gpas from top universities. When they did look at grads from lower-ranked schools, they looked for higher gpas.

However, if it is the case that Canady wants to pursue a career in coaching, then she should seek to study under the best pitching coach she can find.

Mar 29, 2023
I'm not a huge fan of "go join the super team to win a championship," but she needed to get away from Stanford: 137th in Battering Average, 89th in OBP, 109th in Scoring. Plus, their fielding was not great in the WCWS.

They couldn't gather a squad around the country's best pitcher, and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. If she had stayed, she'd have just wasted her time.

Jul 5, 2016
I'm not a huge fan of "go join the super team to win a championship," but she needed to get away from Stanford: 137th in Battering Average, 89th in OBP, 109th in Scoring. Plus, their fielding was not great in the WCWS.

They couldn't gather a squad around the country's best pitcher, and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. If she had stayed, she'd have just wasted her time.
This is probably the major factor. Any parent of a pitcher has probably seen games where, if their daughter was NOT throwing K's, the opposing team was winning on errors.

Although, maybe, like Jordy Bahl, she really did want to be closer to home.

May 27, 2013
I just don’t get why they don’t just do the right thing and pay the professional softball players that kind of money? Keep it out of college sports.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I just don’t get why they don’t just do the right thing and pay the professional softball players that kind of money? Keep it out of college sports.
There is not REALLY pro softball. Who is they? (the mysterious powers to be). We still live in a capitalistic economy. Pro softball needs much better marketing and leadership to put butts in the seat, sell merch and gain attention. Remember when the Dawgs shot themselves in the foot awhile back. Lack of leadership. I wish there was pro softball but I don't even see it on the horizon. It would take some big time investors willing to spend (risk) millions to kick it off. Or MLB to do a NBA supporting the WNBA thing. I don't see it happening.

May 27, 2013
There is not REALLY pro softball. Who is they? (the mysterious powers to be). We still live in a capitalistic economy. Pro softball needs much better marketing and leadership to put butts in the seat, sell merch and gain attention. Remember when the Dawgs shot themselves in the foot awhile back. Lack of leadership. I wish there was pro softball but I don't even see it on the horizon. It would take some big time investors willing to spend (risk) millions to kick it off. Or MLB to do a NBA supporting the WNBA thing. I don't see it happening.
I was thinking of Athletes Unlimited which is the closest thing we have right now.

Mar 29, 2023
I think it's more likely to see college softball become pro softball (including allowing players to play more than 4 years) than a huge pro softball league to spawn. I think it's just really hard to get folks excited for a new league and new teams versus people continuing to love their colleges.

Apr 8, 2019

This is an interesting point. How can Stanford not pull in great hitters? Where I'm from, they are considered an absolute premier place to land.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Degrees from top universities are not some sort of magical ATM. The degree needs to be in a sought after major and the student needs to have good grades.

Say it again.

Stanford has a great reputation, but lots of schools produce good lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, etc. Arguing that just any degree from Stanford (or similar) is going to set anyone up is nonsense. For a top athlete, perhaps not quite strong enough academically to major in something that employers will really pay for, not leveraging their primary skill set while they can is foolish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805